Pedro Alvarez not signed by Pirates????

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2008/266761.html

Sounds like Boras is trying to get Alvarez' deal renegotiated; very strange reports about MLB extending the signing deadline.

Here's another story from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette; sounds like Boras is trying to make the case that the Alvarez deal did not get done until after midnight on the 15th.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08241/907633-63.stm

This is the silliness that exists when agents and teams play this last minute game. It appears a phone call, possibly with a cell phone (my speculation), was cut off. Imagine if the cell battery had gone dead, or power had gone out, or a fax machine gets jammed.

It is utter foolishness (and surprisingly amateurish for such professionals) to conduct business in this manner.

Boras is an idiot........but he continues to prosper in this environment because he never stops fighting for his players. He is very creative in the excuses he dreams up for why certain things should happen. The fascinating point on all of this is the fact that if it were successful (which I think there is a snowballs chance) then it would also void Hosmer's deal because his came in after Alvarez :eek:

Boras is an idiot........but he continues to prosper in this environment because he never stops fighting for his players. He is very creative in the excuses he dreams up for why certain things should happen. The fascinating point on all of this is the fact that if it were successful (which I think there is a snowballs chance) then it would also void Hosmer's deal because his came in after Alvarez :eek:

I'd imagine Boras will argue that the extension was legit for Hosmer, but not for Alvarez. I understand that your point is the point PIT is trying to make to MLB.

I think an arbitrator is scheduled to hear the case on September 10 - don't know how long it will take for him or her to decide.

This is correct and Hosmer cannot play until this is resolved. I think Boras is pissed that Posey turned him down as an agent and then ended up getting the largest signing bonus at $6.3 while being drafter lower than Alvarez and Hosmer.

I have a feeling the Pirates win this appeal and Boras might have tarnished his reputation with this situation.

This is correct and Hosmer cannot play until this is resolved. I think Boras is pissed that Posey turned him down as an agent and then ended up getting the largest signing bonus at $6.3 while being drafter lower than Alvarez and Hosmer.

I have a feeling the Pirates win this appeal and Boras might have tarnished his reputation with this situation.

Boras might have tarnished his image? In some circles it has been more than tarnished for a long time. Forget all the money-grabbing since I guess that's part of his job. But how about the announcement that A-Rod would opt out coming during the last game of the World Series? You can easily make the argument that he is simply good at what he does, but his reputation is already tarnished in my mind no matter how this plays out.

Boras might have tarnished his image? In some circles it has been more than tarnished for a long time. Forget all the money-grabbing since I guess that's part of his job. But how about the announcement that A-Rod would opt out coming during the last game of the World Series? You can easily make the argument that he is simply good at what he does, but his reputation is already tarnished in my mind no matter how this plays out.

I agree, and as long as he continues to get his players top dollar he will continue to be the #1 agent in baseball.

Isn't that the point above from Methodology? Boras did not get top $.
He sure did. He may not have gotten the biggest contract, but he got his guys very, very big contracts. Certainly far above slot.

FA and the draft are different beasts.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the arbitrator heard the case and if so what the decision was?

According to Kevin Goldstein, its still on going. So far the arbiter has talked to Selig and another MLB exec and that's it. They'll be more hearings on the 23rd and 24th of this month. And its getting more and more complicated as time goes on.

Go to baseballprospectus.com and read up on it.

Has it been said what the realistic outcome would be if the ruling goes against MLB? There isn't any real possibility of the outcome being either Pedro goes back into the draft or the signing stands is there? I don't have access to bp.com so my apologies if the article does answer that question.

Archived