Can the O's get 50 starts from their AAA starters in 2020?

wildcard

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Looking at the O's thin starting rotation I am wondering if he the can get 50 starts this season from Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Zimmerman, Wells and/or Baumann?  

What do you think?

I think just Akin and possibly Kremer will factor in (both 40-man). Otherwise, fill in starts/bulk innings by Hess, Bailey, Rucker, Stewart (has an option). 

It's definitely likely that at some point a DFA will occur and a SP will get added to the 40-man. I could see Wells. 

Hmmm that’s tough. You can’t assume Cobb will be able to make it through the majority of the year. You can’t assume Wojo won’t completely implode. You can’t assume LeBlanc or another starter will be part of the rotation. I think we definitely see Kremer and Akin for at least 5 starts each throughout the year. That’s nowhere near 50. 

My answer is I don’t know.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Looking at the O's thin starting rotation I am wondering if he the can get 50 starts this season from Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Zimmerman, Wells and/or Baumann?  

What do you think?

It will have little to do with the Orioles' thin starting rotation.   If Elias and company judge a prospect ready for trhe majors, he will come up.   If they don't, he won't.   Period.    Regardless of what is happening at the major league level.   If the rotaiton is struggling and the guys in Norfolk are judged not ready, he'll plug holes like he did last year by trading for or claiming another Armstrong or Shepherd or Wojo or give a guy like Blach yet another shot.

50 seems like an awful lot considering how slow this regime has been to promote guys and start service clocks.  If I had to guess based on what we know now, I'd say maybe 15 for Akin, 10 for Kremer, and I don't see 25 in there for the rest of the group.  It will be more AAAA guys / waiver wire pickups.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Don't know, don't really care.  I'm assuming whoever starts for us this year will be not very good to pretty damn terrible.  Obviously, I'd like to see some of the AAA guys step up and get the opportunities but I don't think anyone starting is going to be good regardless of where they come from.

Haha yeah. 

On this topic I would also caution the folks (not everyone) who for some reason think Akin is going to be some kind of rotation savior. That guy is probably going to get lit up a little bit, to be honest. Not Luis Ortiz lit up, but he's going to take his lumps. Not saying it won't be fun to have him called up and see what he can do, but just sayin. 

Just now, interloper said:

Haha yeah. 

On this topic I would also caution the folks (not everyone) who for some reason think Akin is going to be some kind of rotation savior. That guy is probably going to get lit up a little bit, to be honest. Not Luis Ortiz lit up, but he's going to take his lumps. Not saying it won't be fun to have him called up and see what he can do, but just sayin. 

Yep, unless your names are Hall/Rodriguez I'm not expecting anything from our minor league arms at the ML level.  I think they all profile to be back end of the rotation starters.

Which we'll need.  But are not indispensable.  

I think 30 is a more realistic number. With the additions of the Rule-5 guys and the likes of LeBlanc and Stewart, I think it vastly decreases the changes of someone like Akin breaking camp with the team. That would be necessary to get anywhere close to 50 as you'd need to get a good 20 starts from one guy.

Give that, I think we do see Akin and Kremer as many have said and a couple other guys could get a spot start here and there.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Haha yeah. 

In fairness I don't think there are many who think Akin is a savior.  If he can just be a reliable 4th or 5th starter that would be a vast improvement over some guys we've ran out there the past few years.   But that's still up in the air for sure.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I think just Akin and possibly Kremer will factor in (both 40-man). Otherwise, fill in starts/bulk innings by Hess, Bailey, Rucker, Stewart (has an option). 

It's definitely likely that at some point a DFA will occur and a SP will get added to the 40-man. I could see Wells. 

Yeah....I mean, Stewart, Bailey, and those dudes (I'd throw in Rodgers as well) surely couldn't be worse (or at least much worse) than Brooks, Hess, Eshelman, Straily et al, and they made a bunch of starts between them last season. 

And Akin is actually closer to a legit prospect than anyone we sent out there last year.

Of course we don't know.  Its guess work.  But here is my guess:

Akin into the rotation by June 1st.  Get 5 starts a month for the rest of the season.  That is 20 starts.

Lowther  and  Kremer in the rotation by mid July.     For 12 starts each    That is a total of 44 by the three starters.  

6 combined by Zimmerman, Wells and/or Baumann in August and Sept.  

Will that happen?  Depends on how these 6 prospects do with the major league ball at AAA.