I think the other shoe is falling (Guthrie)

bgfield

It could be the end for him. Or it could mean hes, ya know, human.

Off topic, but Amber Theoharis made this same comment when speaking about why Roberts was removed from the game. She said he was nt injured, bt he was maybe just tired from all the traveling during the All-Star break. She then said, "maybe Brian's just...human?"

Almost sounded like she had a little crush on him in her defense of why he was out. Maybe SilentJames is really Amber Theoharis???? :D:D

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Off topic, but Amber Theoharis made this same comment when speaking about why Roberts was removed from the game. She said he was nt injured, bt he was maybe just tired from all the traveling during the All-Star break. She then said, "maybe Brian's just...human?"

Almost sounded like she had a little crush on him in her defense of why he was out. Maybe SilentJames is really Amber Theoharis???? :D:D

He's just like Amber, only about 2 feet taller.

Just evening out....Eventually he will end up in the 270-300 range i am sure.

Which will be fine if he keeps the walks down and improves on his k rate...the k rate has been much better lately, which is encouraging.

On the Fantasy Baseball page of Sporting News, Guthrie was the first player listed in the section talking about second half flops.

I've been wondering what the rotation will look like in September. Even if Trachsel is not traded, at least two pitchers in the rotation will be guys who haven't been in a major league rotation on a regular basis. So even if you bring up some starters from the minors, you'd still be pushing Guthrie, Burres and/or Olsen well past their previous highs for innings pitched.

Hopefully last night was an exception to his other starts. But it might also be a sign of what to expect from the less experienced starters in the O's rotation.

Forget the stats and mean reversions....the real question is - Can Guthrie throw 95mph on a consistent basis?

If so, that is the "stuff" of a promising pitcher. A plus (maybe even plus plus) fastball according to scouts. On the other hand, 91mph heater = league average.

All else is moot for the time being.

Don't know if this was shown on TV tonight, but we were at the game, and saw Guthrie, Olson and Burress on the top step most of the night, watching the master (Bedard) paint tonight's masterpiece.

If we're worried about these guys logging too many innings in this years lost cause, and if Trachsel isn't dealt before the break, why not go to a six-man rotation for some part of the second half? Everybody skips a start or two, and perhaps spends a week as the swingman. Thoughts?

I don't mean to sound reactionary, but this is now the third start in a row Guthrie's had that's been anywhere from OK to Bad.

Jul 1: 8 IP 4ER

Jul 6: 6 IP 3ER (it's nice that we can say this is a bad outting for Guthrie, isn't it?)

Jul 12: 3.2, 6R, 5ER

I know you can make a case that he would have given up less if we had an adequate fielding left fielder, but he still pitched poorly. During his great run, I noticed with Guthrie that when he'd miss his locations, he'd miss down a lot. I think that led to the low HR totals, the low amount of base hits, and thus, the low ERA. He's started missing up lately, which means he's gonna start getting hit harder.

So at this point, what do you think of Guthrie? Do you still think he's the real deal and he's just going through a dead arm period? Do you think this is just regression to reflect his true talent? Just a rough game, nothing else?

I think the next few starts are going to tell a lot about what we have in Guthrie. If he can rebound and pitch some good games, then he should be able to have a lasting spot in our rotation in the future. If he continues to bomb, well, maybe he'll just turn out to be the pitching version of David Newhan in 2004.

You know Bedard went through the same thing a couple weeks ago, admitted it was some dead arm, but has rebounded nicely. I think Guthrie will be just fine in a couple of weeks. Maybe not lights out but back to 3-4 ER per game.

You know Bedard went through the same thing a couple weeks ago, admitted it was some dead arm, but has rebounded nicely. I think Guthrie will be just fine in a couple of weeks. Maybe not lights out but back to 3-4 ER per game.

That would land him in the ~4.50 ERA range. That's almost double what he's had. That would mean the other shoe is falling as far as I'm concerned. That's still a servicable ML starter but if that's what happens it just proves Guthrie was experiencing a bit of luck.

That would land him in the ~4.50 ERA range. That's almost double what he's had. That would mean the other shoe is falling as far as I'm concerned. That's still a servicable ML starter but if that's what happens it just proves Guthrie was experiencing a bit of luck.

I think he means a 3 - 4 ERA, but I can see how you interpreted it that way.

Guthrie was probably pitching over his head for a while, and now he's probably in a slump. But, slumps happen to everyone (well, almost). I have confidence in him - with the help of Leo - getting out of it. I think he has the stuff and composure to hang around in a rotation for a while, and be a solid middle of the rotation guy. He'll come around and be fine. His last start won't be the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived