MLB response to tanking: more playoff teams?

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Never been called atypical before.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Was not my intent to be critical. Just saying most people know who those players are. 

I only follow a couple of college basketball teams and Duke isnt one, and neither of my teams are in the ACC.

But, I would have thought with all the news coverage when Zion's shoe blow out and might have ruined his college career, there was a whole lot of people flapping about it. Wasnt a good PR time for his shoe company either, that most people heard of his name.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well if attendance is going down in general, because of things that have nothing to do with baseball, then it’s logical to assume that bad decisions by the organization will increase the speed of the decline. If Manfred makes better decisions, which he has yet to show the ability to do, the decline in attendance might be slower than it is. It just makes sense that if the play on the field is being negatively impacted by  commissioner decisions, and that is true, then they are bad decisions. 

Specifically, he has basically said it is OK to cheat. When Pete Rose asked for reinstatement on the grounds that, “hey they did it as an entire organization and nothing happened to them.“ He was exactly right. I do not think he should be reinstated, but I do think that all the guys who got away with it should be severely penalized.

I have no or little sympathy for any commissioner. They get paid a lot and they know going into the job what they are getting themselves into. 

That said it is not possible to please everyone. I don’t think he said it is ok to cheat. He is tying to negotiate a new CBA with the union. He has to balance everything he does. At the end of the day the Astros have paid a pretty big penalty. Curious how the players handle this with the media the next couple of weeks. 

Pete Rose is a slimeball who should keep his mouth shut. 

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I only follow a couple of college basketball teams and Duke isnt one, and neither of my teams are in the ACC.

But, I would have thought with all the news coverage when Zion's shoe blow out and might have ruined his college career, there was a whole lot of people flapping about it. Wasnt a good PR time for his shoe company either, that most people heard of his name.

I didn't say that I didn't know who Zion was.

He's the kid that gained 100 pounds in a year and ended up faster than when he started.

But baseball is the sport with the PED problem.

9 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Just fact checked this. Atomic is right. NBA and NHL attendance is steady if not growing.

Good to know. 

Is the NFL hurting because their attendance is down? 

7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

If you want to know why baseball is losing fans it's because the MLB doesn't market its best players (at all/effectively) and the sport doesn't appeal to young people who cord cut and have no access to the game. Baseball is behind on moving into the future.

You are comparing sports where star players can dominate the game. Mike Trout in those sports equals guaranteed playoffs, not in MLB. 

Clearly baseball needs to adapt to the younger fan. They need to end the stupid blackouts and get their steaming issues resolved. 

Baseball also plays double the games and has much higher attendance overall.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

You are comparing sports where star players can dominate the game. Mike Trout in those sports equals guaranteed playoffs, not in MLB.

Disagree. I'm not comparing the sports even slightly.

Everyone in this country knows who Cal Ripken is. This is a recent baseball problem. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say that I didn't know who Zion was.

He's the kid that gained 100 pounds in a year and ended up faster than when he started.

But baseball is the sport with the PED problem.

I believe it was 2 years according to a quote by Zion.

But lets play the PED card.

Just because his body went from 17 to 19, no kid on this planet has ever filled out to their frame.

3 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Disagree. I'm not comparing the sports even slightly.

Everyone in this country knows who Cal Ripken is. This is a recent baseball problem. 

Usually, only in the NBA, can a single player put their batman or superman cape and carry a team based on their elite set of skills.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like expanding the playoffs. BOS and NYY have both been in the top 2-3 of payroll for the last 20 years. That’s tough for us to compete against every year. That usually means we’re playing for the WC2 at best. During our run, we were the WC2 two of the three times we made the playoffs. 

This adds one extra spot in each league, and eliminates the 1 game WC round. I love it. 

It adds 2 extra spots in each league.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hard to compare and hard to know. Their attendance issues maybe stem from the Colin Kaepernick thing (not looking to start a conversation about this btw, don't want mod wrath), but not failure to move forward. With a 16 game schedule you can drum up more interest in going to games compared to sports where there are games 3-6 times per week. Longer seasons dilute the impact of the games. Just my opinion.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Usually, only in the NBA, can a single player put their batman or superman cape and carry a team based on their elite set of skills.

I don't disagree with that, but we're talking about player marketing. Historical precedent of well marketed baseball players exists, and therefore, this isn't relevant.

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Good to know. 

Clearly baseball needs to adapt to the younger fan. They need to end the stupid blackouts and get their steaming issues resolved. 

Baseball also plays double the games and has much higher attendance overall.  

Stop the presses, the NHL is sales has gone through the roof:

As of the 2018–19 season the NHL averaged 17,377 live spectators per game, and 22,002,081 total for the season.

47 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You have not heard of Tua Tagovailoa, the Alabama starting QB? Who played in back to back National Championship games? 

My point is baseball themselves need to promote the upcoming players. The NBA and NFL has that done for them. Instead of rebroadcasting the same shows over and over show college games on MLB Network. Show Austin Martin and Spencer Torkleson. It’s February, there aren’t even any spring games on yet. Promote the fact that these guys are Top 3 prospects. Do I think the ratings will be great, no but the sport needs to take their own network and promote the future any way they can. 

85% of the college football I watch is Virginia Tech, and I actively avoid watching teams that constantly win like the Yanks, Sox, Alabama, Duke, etc.

I guess they could do a better job promoting prospects, but if you're flipping through the channels would you even think about stopping on the MLB network to watch a showcase of the D'back's or Twins' top prospect? I wouldn't.