Davis is definitley jacked this year...

Sir_Loin

On 2/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, Sir_Loin said:

Pic posted by Roch:

Davis-Ripped-Spring.jpg

Compared to 2019 season:

Image result for chris davis 2019 season

Sorry but this was the first thing that came to mind.

Image result for steroid needle cartoon

But maybe that's a good thing. If it works he's productive. If he's caught he's gone.

Edited by El Gordo

1 hour ago, makoman said:

You have decided because he didn't want to work on his swing he has no work ethic or discipline. I would say that points to ego/stubbornness or something else, not necessarily work ethic. If you say "I'm not doing that because I don't think it will help" that may be delusional but it doesn't mean poor work ethic. In any case, you can have work ethic in one thing and not another. Maybe he likes to lift and doesn't like hitting all that much anymore. If so it wouldn't be hard, with no job, to lift 5-7 times a week. It doesn't take 8 hours. 

I agree with this.    

4 hours ago, jarman86 said:

I have presented you with 5 articles, that present you with studies, info and facts.  They state that what I am saying is true.  You provide what you see in the gym.  I'm assuming you don't go to the performance centers for athletes, but places where people with real actual jobs and limited resources go.  

Every year I read about football players putting on 15-25 lbs of muscle.  Aside from your ignorance and lack of knowledge, there is nothing to be gained.  You are obviously standing your ground no matter what.  

None of the articles have any mention of scientific studies about muscle gain in body weight.  They are pretty much worthless opinion pieces.  The only thing even remotely fact related mentioned in the articles is this:  

“The Colgan Institute of Nutritional Sciences (located in San Diego, Calif.) run by Dr Michael Colgan PH.D., a leading sport nutritionist explains that in his extensive experience, the most muscle gain he or any of his colleagues have recorded over a year was 18 1/4 lbs. Dr Colgan goes on to state that "because of the limiting rate of turnover in the muscle cells it is impossible to grow more than an ounce of new muscle each day.”

So according to your own article you can’t gain more than a pound in 16 days.  And NFL players use HGH and steroids.  It is very common in fact. There is no Miracle that pro athletes have access to.  Most of this stuff comes down to genetics in gain rate.  Not super training facilities. 

7 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

33 years old. 25 lbs Of muscle in one off season. One prior PED suspension. Historically bad performance. The probability this happens is not zero. And it would save the Orioles a lot of money. 

I see Davis mentioning it in a couple articles posted online, but still no definitive proof he really put on 25 pounds of muscle. The Orioles play their first exhibition game on Saturday so we'll be able to see for ourselves soon enough.  ?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I see Davis mentioning it in a couple articles posted online, but still no definitive proof he really put on 25 pounds of muscle. The Orioles play their first exhibition game on Saturday so we'll be able to see for ourselves soon enough.  ?‍♂️

I haven't seen anything from the O's saying he has.  The quote I saw was that he gained 25 pounds.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I haven't seen anything from the O's saying he has.  The quote I saw was that he gained 25 pounds.

This is an interesting interview from a month ago in Pressbox with Davis talking about his off season training. Maybe it was just more than talk this time. 

Orioles’ Chris Davis Adding Strength In Effort To Get Back To Former Self

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People are suspicious that Davis cheated to add the weight, but not suspicious about what did  Elias and Sig do in HOU?

That’s convenient. 

Can you leave that fight in the appropriate thread? Some of us in this thread don’t have a dog in that one. ?

12 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

33 years old. 25 lbs Of muscle in one off season. One prior PED suspension. Historically bad performance. The probability this happens is not zero. And it would save the Orioles a lot of money. 

I believe the ban was for an ADHD medicine that he had previously been approved for, that MLB changed their policy.

Are there other signs of Steroid use, like anger management, mood swings, etc?

What exactly did Elias and Sig do in Houston? Please explain.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I believe the ban was for an ADHD medicine that he had previously been approved for, that MLB changed their policy.

He’s alluding to the Houston sign stealing thing.    Because it hadn’t been discussed enough here.   

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I mean, he nearly attacked Brandon Hyde in the dugout, but I guess we're just willing to dismiss that as boys being boys. 

I've been reading up on adding muscle mass and bottom line is those of you who are defending Davis and not the least bit suspicious of steroid "help" are insane. Adding 25 lbs (of muscle) in fourish months is virtually impossible. I don't care how many times a day a you lift or how many personal trainers you hire. And it's also a borderline unhealthy level of growth in that amount of time. And again, how is this going to exactly help him and the team? I don't remember seeing a "Men of the Orioles" calendar on the promotional schedule.  Even if Tony Atlas (in his prime) with the hand/eye coordination of Rod Carew couldn't hit a called third strike. At this point, Davis has forfeited the right to determine what he should do on his own to fix his problems. He should doing whatever the team tells him to do. And I guarantee you that wasn't recommending he spend ever waking moment of the off season in the weight room. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, makoman said:

You have decided because he didn't want to work on his swing he has no work ethic or discipline. I would say that points to ego/stubbornness or something else, not necessarily work ethic. If you say "I'm not doing that because I don't think it will help" that may be delusional but it doesn't mean poor work ethic. In any case, you can have work ethic in one thing and not another. Maybe he likes to lift and doesn't like hitting all that much anymore. If so it wouldn't be hard, with no job, to lift 5-7 times a week. It doesn't take 8 hours. 

So in reading between the lines of your post what he did this offseason did absolutely nothing to make him a better baseball player. It's like prepping for the Bar Exam by learning to play guitar because you like music more than studying. Work ethic applies to "work". The titles right there in phrase. Lifting weights 24/7 for four months because he likes it does nothing to demonstrate work ethic. In fact it's quite the contrary because he's putting off what he should be doing to do something he likes to do.