Markakis on Astros: "Every Single Guy Needs a Beating"

Aristotelian

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Canseco isn't a likable guy, doesn't mean he wasn't telling the truth.  His stories might have been over the top but when you get him, Raffy, McGwire and Sosa in front of Congress...well, one of those guys was telling the truth and not hiding from what was going on.  Sure, he sold a book, maybe some of the stories were a bit over the top.  But just because he was the poster boy for PEDs doesn't make him a liar. 

Like I said, I'm sure there's some truth in there among the two-headed snakes.

Is there a pitcher whose career was terminated by playing against the Astros? I'm talking, a guy gets called up to face the Astros, gets shelled, and stays in the minors? Or maybe just examples of guys getting sent to the minors after being shelled? I'd be interested to know. 

37 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Is there a pitcher whose career was terminated by playing against the Astros? I'm talking, a guy gets called up to face the Astros, gets shelled, and stays in the minors? Or maybe just examples of guys getting sent to the minors after being shelled? I'd be interested to know. 

Yes, one is suing even.

Does anyone think a MLB team would weigh one appearance that highly?

3 hours ago, Explosivo said:

In what turned out to be Mike Bolsinger’s final major league appearance, the Blue Jays relief pitcher was lit up by members of the 2017 Astros. Now Bolsinger is suing the Astros, claiming that the team’s sign-stealing scheme “resulted in economic harm” to him.

“For a journeyman pitcher in the MLB like [Bolsinger],” stated his lawsuit, filed Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court, “a disastrous inning, such as what took place in Houston on August 4th [2017], could and did prove to be the death knell to [Bolsinger’s] career in the MLB.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/11/lit-up-by-2017-astros-he-never-pitched-mlb-again-now-hes-suing/

This suit is too stupid.

Adam Wallach has turned on his own team and filed a class-action lawsuit that claims the Astros used their electronic sign-stealing scheme to win more games, which led to the team jacking up ticket prices, so he's suing for "inappropriate increases."

Wallach's official complaint accuses the Astros of “deceptively overcharging (fans) for season tickets while defendants and their employees and representative knowingly and surreptitiously engaged in a sign stealing scheme … and secretly put a deficient product on the field that could result (and now has resulted) in severe penalties."

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I'm late to this thread, so sorry if already discussed - would a public beating of everyone involved put this situation behind us and allow things to move on, with no further discussion?

If so, I'm all for it.

A caning.  Seems fair.  Let the pitchers who faced the Astro's in the playoffs and who's teams lost each get one whack per player each.  I think that would solve the issues.  Altuve would have to take his shirt off but he is being punished so he can deal with it. 

9 hours ago, Explosivo said:

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/02/14/baseball-lawsuit-astros-sign-stealing

Bolsinger is suing for personal damages and requesting that the Astros donate their $31 million postseason bonuses to charity

This is probably a very difficult case to win, but I'll be watching it...

3 minutes ago, jjnono said:

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/02/14/baseball-lawsuit-astros-sign-stealing

Bolsinger is suing for personal damages and requesting that the Astros donate their $31 million postseason bonuses to charity

This is probably a very difficult case to win, but I'll be watching it...

Sounds like the type that gets thrown out before getting to trial.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:35 PM, Can_of_corn said:

No reason for it to be a big deal, but the mob mentality has taken over.

It's steroids all over again.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, maybe someone can get hurt, that'd be a hoot.

Maybe some kid can get a career ended injury when he was on the cusp of the majors.

Wouldn't that be "interesting"?

Throwing at guys is dumb and dangerous.  Charging the mound is dumb and dangerous.  Brawling is dumb and dangerous.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:27 PM, Can_of_corn said:

So?

You said brawl, it was a brawl.

Killed an otherwise very promising career.

Possibly cost the kid millions.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-sweep-orioles-with-6-run-inning-c232928936

https://www.espn.com/mlb/game?gameId=370526118

First let me say, throwing at guys IS dumb and dangerous.  Of course, it has happened forever.  If there were no DH it would happen less, at least in my opinion.  But what the astros did was dangerous too and I find it odd that your inconsistency over actions that could hurt careers is dismissed as mob mentality.  Pitchers were demolished in seemingly historic fashion.  Asher gave up a team cycle in the second inning of a game.  The Orioles in this May series basically have their 5 year window of competitiveness destroyed.  You have no room for what if?  You have no concern that Asher, or Kevin Gausman, now out of baseball, were not injured here.  Gaus threw 6.2 innings on the road and got beat 2-0...on two monstrous shots by Jake Marisnick and some guy named Carlos Beltran.  Im not saying this isn't an easy excuse or that typical bad Oriole development needed no help from Houston and it's scheme.  But as they were in 16...when the O's traveled to Houston they were gobsmacked.  After they got swept in 17...they were never the same.

You don't care about those guys and the millions they might have lost?  Only the ones who got injured in beanings...or brawl?

First let me say, throwing at guys IS dumb and dangerous.  Of course, it has happened forever.  If there were no DH it would happen less, at least in my opinion.  But what the Astros did was dangerous too and I find it odd that your inconsistency over actions that could hurt careers is dismissed as mob mentality.  Pitchers were demolished in seemingly historic fashion.  Look at 2017 when the Baltimore was still a contender but limped into Houston on a three game losing streak before being swept for the second year in a row (i believe) in Houston.  On May 28, Asher gave up a team cycle in the second inning of a game.  O's lose 6-2.  The Orioles in this May series basically have their 5 year window of competitiveness destroyed.  You have no room for what if?  You have no concern that Asher, or Kevin Gausman, now out of baseball, were not injured here.  In that same series, Gaus threw 6.2 innings on the road and got beat 2-0...on two monstrous shots by Jake Marisnick and some guy named Carlos Beltran.  Im not saying this isn't an easy excuse or that typical bad Oriole development needed no help from Houston and it's scheme.  But as they were in 16...when the O's traveled to Houston they were gobsmacked.  After they got swept in 17...they were never the same.

You don't care about those guys and the millions they might have lost?  Only the ones who got injured in beanings...or brawls?

I'm just saying there is room for discussion.  Your dismissal of one as mob mentality....and then linking it in similarity to steroids...is not a good look.  Steroids by the way, also hurt careers and that is not debatable.  The debate regarding steroids is always going to be about who was or wasn't and whether steroids is the same level of cheating as greenies or spitballs.  

You are always thought provoking and I appreciate that...it makes for great discussion.  Thanks

Did Markakis mention anything about talking to Brian McCann about this? Or does McCann not count in the beatings since he is a Brave now? I wonder how the clubhouse atmosphere is for ex-Astros on other teams now. are they being ostracized by their teammates? Are they all playing the 'i tried to tell them to stop cheating but they wouldn't listen to me' card?