Broadcasting changes

eddie83

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Lowenstein and Proctor were the best, and it's not just nostalgia.  Lowenstein was truly a character and it came across all the time, Proctor was his straight man.  They were a great comedy duo.

As good as Thorne and Palmer are now, I have to agree with you that Lowenstein and Proctor were better. Even a game that was a blowout was made entertaining with them on the call. I remember when Lowenstein wasn't brought back that a lot of it had to do with Angelos thinking he was too much of a character and not professional enough on the air. 

I miss Joe Angel (duh).

I’ll actually miss Jim, too, despite the beating he seems to take from many here. For me, he's the voice of the Orioles, almost literally since I was born. The “modest 2-game (whatever) streak” I found to be almost an endearing quirk of sorts. He’s been a loyal soldier – hopefully the new role won’t marginalize him too much.

Don’t know much about Garceau as a PBPer; I vaguely remember him calling Ravens games back in the day. He’s been out of the booth for a long time, so it’ll be interesting to see how quickly he re-acclimates himself.

Sort of related, I’m glad Weinman is getting (what I think is) a better time slot. I’m not a daily listener of 105.7, but I always tend to stick around whenever he’s on. He knows his stuff, is passionate about his teams and has no qualms about speaking his mind about them, good, bad, or so-so. And does it in an engaging way, if that makes sense.

Edited by Win Column

18 hours ago, Philip said:

I am disappointed that Kevin Brown will be back, he is terrible. What he says is not interesting,  the way he says it is not interesting and his voice is not interesting. When you’re on the radio, you’re a storyteller, and you have to have an engaging voice, which he does not have and you have to describe events in an interesting way, which he does not do.

IMO, one of his assets is his ability to work analytics into his broadcast. And he does it in a nonintrusive, almost inconspicuous manner (which is helpful for analytics semi-novices like me). 

So from this link it looks like some of the preseason games which do not have radio broadcasts on 105.7 are listed as "Radio:  mlb.com".   I remember last year Melewski did a bunch of games that were online only and not over the airwaves.   I wonder if this is the same thing.   That would include the opener vs Atlanta Saturday.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/schedule/2020-02/list

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/schedule/2020-03/list

19 hours ago, BarclaySouthway said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but Scott Garceau, while being plenty of affable, seems a little short on the insight and long on the cliche.

Have at me.

Not sure if he'll know what to do when he doesn't have his standard go-to move of "Hey Jeremy, make that one funny voice you do!" followed shortly by "That's so great. Jeremy, do that other funny voice you do!"

Glad to see Jeremy get his own show. Drive time is always much better when it's Jeremy and a fill-in because they can actually get into the topics rather than cover for the fact that Scott doesn't know anything more than what he's told or something that happened 20 years ago. 

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

As good as Thorne and Palmer are now, I have to agree with you that Lowenstein and Proctor were better. Even a game that was a blowout was made entertaining with them on the call. I remember when Lowenstein wasn't brought back that a lot of it had to do with Angelos thinking he was too much of a character and not professional enough on the air. 

Apparently Angelos' criteria involved being a straight-laced over-the-top homer.  Being truthful and entertaining, not so much.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Angelos firing Miller was probably the pettiest thing he ever did.  Firing people for not being enough of a blind cheerleader for the company is a huge red flag for how the company (or country, or whatever kind of organization) is being run.

Sadly, there is a whole list of stupid arse things that Angelos has done while owning this team.

Hopefully, the boys can do better, it helps that daddy set the bar low.

• Upvote 1