The utility man race -- 10 games in

SteveA

We started camp with 10 possible candidates for utility roles, although a few were longshots (and a couple of those got sent to minor league camp today).

Here's an update on how they are doing.   The spring stats of course are based on a ridiculously small sample size.   But how Hyde is using guys certainly can give you an indication of who he thinks might be able to play the various positions that need backing up.   Here's where we stand:

Malquin Canelo -- 4 plate appearances, .333/.500/.667/1.167.   3 games at SS, 1 at 3B.   SENT TO MINOR LEAGUE CAMP

Dilson Herrera -- 18 PAs, .294/.333/.529/.862.  4 games at 1B, 2 in RF.

Richie Martin -- 16 PAs.  .333/.375/.750/.1.125.  5 games at SS (4 starts); 1 game at 2B (1 start)

Mason McCoy -- 7 PAs.  .143/.143/.143/.286.   2 games at SS, 2 games at 2B.   SENT TO MINOR LEAGUE CAMP

Jose Rondon -- 11 PAs.  .455/.455/.545/1.000.   3 games at 1B, 2 games at 2B (one start), 1 game at 3B.

Richard Urena -- 7 PAs.  .286/.286/.714/1.000.   1 game at 2B, 1 game at 3B, 1 game at SS.

Ramon Urias -- 11 PAs.  .182/.182/.182/.364.  6 games at 2B.

Pat Valaika -- 16 PAs.  .385/.429/.923/1.352.  3 games at 2B (3 starts), 1 game at SS (1 start), 1 game at 1B (1 start)

Andrew Velazquez -- 9 PAs  .429/.444/.429/.873.  3 games at SS (1 start), 1 game in CF (1 start)

Stevie Wilkerson -- 13 PAs.  .091/.331/.182/.413.  1 game at 2B (1 start), 1 game in CF (1 start), 1 game at 3B, 1 game in RF.

Too soon to draw any real conclusions, except that we obviously need a backup SS and of the 8 remaining guys, only 4 have seen any action at shortstop in the first 10 games.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Even thought he hasn’t been sent out, it’s been pretty much confirmed that Martin won’t make it out of camp, right?

I think that's what most of us expect, but I don't know if anyone in the organization has said that.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Velasquez is a backup outfielder as well, isn’t he? All the OF spots as well as infield?

and he switch hits too, right?

edit: important to mention defense too.

It’s tough to comment on defense without seeing the games.    

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Right now I think Velazquez in leading and Valaika is still in the picture.  One scenario has them both making the team but that is yet to play out.

It’s looking to me like there’s room for two of these utility types. I think we elect for speed early on with Velasquez and Urena. Valaika has a shot though. 

Martin in AAA of course. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s tough to comment on defense without seeing the games.    

I’m not talking about detailed defense stats, but about basic stuff. The kind that comes through the radio description: good accurate throws, sure hands, good coordination, and such.

we've had plenty who didn’t demonstrate those qualities.

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not talking about detailed defense stats, but about basic stuff. The kind that comes through the radio description: good accurate throws, sure hands, good coordination, and such.

we've had plenty who didn’t demonstrate those qualities.

I’m just saying for purposes of this thread, I’m not sure there is anyone here who has seen or heard enough to comment on which of the utility guys has looked good or bad defensively.    Velasquez has made an error, Urias has made 2.    I don’t think any of the other utility candidates have made any.   I recall Velasquez was mentioned for making a couple of good plays in the same game where he made an error.  Nobody has played more than 34 innings in the field, which isn’t much of a basis for judgment.