For everyone begging for Teixeira

DC2Dallas

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a trade comes down...you may be very surprised at what we have to give the Rangers...surprised in a good way!

There is another deal brewing that may be met with quite a mixed reaction.

Wow, Sonny. Could you elaborate on this? Any other insiders hearing anything?

Rosenthal nails it in his latest column:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7028662

But shrewd teams — most notably, the Braves — evaluate their youngsters objectively and trade players they determine to be marginal.

If a club waits too long, some of its prospects lose value.

The Dodgers, for example, boasted two of the game's top young pitchers, right-hander Edwin Jackson and lefty Greg Miller, prior to the 2004 season.

They could have traded both to the Yankees for Alfonso Soriano. They could have traded Jackson to the Reds for Adam Dunn.

Thinking he was a future ace, the Dodgers wouldn't trade Edwin Jackson. Will they make a similar mistake this season?

But no, Jackson and Miller were untouchable, future aces.

And look what happened.

Jackson failed to emerge the way the Dodgers envisioned, then was traded to the Devil Rays with minor-league pitcher Chuck Tiffany for relievers Danys Baez and Lance Carter. He's still only 23, but he has yet to emerge as a competent starter, as evidenced by his 1-9 record and 7.14 ERA.

Miller, meanwhile, underwent two shoulder operations that sidelined him for all of 2004 and the first half of '05. He's still only 22, and began the season as a starter for the Dodgers' Class AAA affiliate. But he recently was demoted to Class AA, where he is pitching in relief.

Prospects are prospects. Hayden Penn and Radhames Liz are not locks to be future stars. Neither is Cabrera and he's approaching that situation of no return as far as having any ceiling left. If it's Penn or Liz and Cabrera for Tex we should pull the trigger.

Hmmmmm...let's see now...

a) Play for my hometown team, with my family living nearby, whom myself and my family have cheered for forever, and whom I STILL root for even though I play for another Major League Team, OR

b) Play for the Yankees because their new manager is the man that AS A KID was my favorite player.

I could be way off base here, but I would think that Tex is a little bit more mature than to play for a team just because he used to like the manager WHEN HE WAS A KID!

Funny since Tex currently wears #23 as his uniform number. He must be a big Tippy Martinez fan huh?

Plus, we aren't paying all of Benson's 7 million.

We're not? I don't recall any financial stipulations in the Benson for Maine-Julio trade. And Cot's doesn't show any info on that either. :confused:

Witchy

Rosenthal nails it in his latest column:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7028662

But shrewd teams — most notably, the Braves — evaluate their youngsters objectively and trade players they determine to be marginal.

If a club waits too long, some of its prospects lose value.

The Dodgers, for example, boasted two of the game's top young pitchers, right-hander Edwin Jackson and lefty Greg Miller, prior to the 2004 season.

They could have traded both to the Yankees for Alfonso Soriano. They could have traded Jackson to the Reds for Adam Dunn.

Thinking he was a future ace, the Dodgers wouldn't trade Edwin Jackson. Will they make a similar mistake this season?

But no, Jackson and Miller were untouchable, future aces.

And look what happened.

Jackson failed to emerge the way the Dodgers envisioned, then was traded to the Devil Rays with minor-league pitcher Chuck Tiffany for relievers Danys Baez and Lance Carter. He's still only 23, but he has yet to emerge as a competent starter, as evidenced by his 1-9 record and 7.14 ERA.

Miller, meanwhile, underwent two shoulder operations that sidelined him for all of 2004 and the first half of '05. He's still only 22, and began the season as a starter for the Dodgers' Class AAA affiliate. But he recently was demoted to Class AA, where he is pitching in relief.

Prospects are prospects. Hayden Penn and Radhames Liz are not locks to be future stars. Neither is Cabrera and he's approaching that situation of no return as far as having any ceiling left. If it's Penn or Liz and Cabrera for Tex we should pull the trigger.

A lot of truth in this column.

GMs hold onto prospects too tightly when they are contending.

I never understood that.

Archived