For everyone begging for Teixeira

DC2Dallas

A lot of reasons:

1) Hometown guy

2) Fans want him

3) He wants to be here

4) Team will justify that it has the pitching to replace DCab and that all of these one run losses will be cured by having a big bat

5) Reading the Sun board, where they don't touch the knowledge on here, most of them feel we are 1 or 2 players away from contending and most think Tex is a cure...That is your casual fan talking and that is who the O's will listen to.

Exactly...especially if Peter Angelos is still the strings at all. I'm pretty sure he's lobbying for Tex pretty hard at this point...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reading the post regarding a deal brewing that will have "mixed reactions", I can't help but be intrigued by the O's pulling Roberts last night. He is one position player we have right now that could bring a nice return. Something brewing with BRob?

I think you are wildly overestimating Mark coming home and playing in OPACY as a pressure situation. It won't be. If anything it'll be the opposite.

Maybe, if we acquire him I would hope you are right and I am wrong. However I think you are underestimating (if this board is any indication) the kind of expectations that he will be saddled with. I honestly don't know how he could meet/exceed expectations as ridiculous as some of them are.

Less-than-flattering portrayal from Dallas Morning News columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor:

HEADLINE: Time for Teixeira to take off

SUBHEAD: Chronic complainer no longer a good fit in Rangers clubhouse

Some of the highlights:

• Clearly, Teixeira no longer wants to play for the Rangers. The feeling, however, is mutual.

• It's Teixeira's fault because he's a chronic complainer.

Think about it. He didn't like playing for Buck Showalter. Now, he doesn't like playing for Ron Washington. Those guys couldn't be more different in their approaches.

That tells me Teixeira or his agent, Scott Boras, is the problem.

• Teixeira is supposed to be one of the team's leaders. Instead of talking about trying to help his teammates sustain the momentum created in the last month with a 15-8 surge, he criticized virtually every facet of the organization.

More important, he failed to take any responsibility for the Rangers' poor record this season or any other year that he's been with the club.

• The Rangers aren't going to get a platinum package of prospects for Teixeira, but they would accept a gold package.

• He declined because he didn't want to travel that much, so he played one game in Frisco. Perhaps, we shouldn't have been surprised.

For the full story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/071307dnspotaylor.3c4f98e.html

I wouldn't either if I was hitting .302/.405/.554

Trading for Tex pretty much forces to FO to get rid of Gibbons and/or Millar, which is something they should have done before signing Huff. But a log jam will still exist, nonetheless, even if some team is dumb enough to take Gibbons. At any rate, trade for Tex and then begin to get rid of the pieces that serve no purpose.

I think you are wildly overestimating Mark coming home and playing in OPACY as a pressure situation. It won't be. If anything it'll be the opposite.

How can you say he won't have pressure?

1) Be looked at as the savior of the organization.

2) Compared to Cal since he is a "hometown hero".

3) Fans have been begging for him to be an Oriole since he left Mt St Joe and later, GT.

He would have a lot of pressure...There is no doubt about that.

If a trade comes down...you may be very surprised at what we have to give the Rangers...surprised in a good way!

There is another deal brewing that may be met with quite a mixed reaction.

This is the second reference to a deal that might not be well recieved. Roy brought this up in another thread. Don't torture us.:eek:

Maybe, if we acquire him I would hope you are right and I am wrong. However I think you are underestimating (if this board is any indication) the kind of expectations that he will be saddled with. I honestly don't know how he could meet/exceed expectations as ridiculous as some of them are.

I dont doubt that those expectation will be lofty. But I also remember a certain hometown hero whose stats were less than stellar for a few years but because of a certain record breaking streak and his ability to be humble, respectful etc...we loved him. I think Mark comes from that same kind of mold. Actually I know he does and I think he'll still put up 280/35 and give the fans something to love for 6-8 years. I think it's an automatic win/win situation with someone who is currently miserable in Texas and is without a doubt a bonefied hitting machine...trust me on this one.

Mark coming here is the best thing that would happen to this franchise in the last maybe...10 years.

How can you say he won't have pressure?

1) Be looked at as the savior of the organization.

2) Compared to Cal since he is a "hometown hero".

3) Fans have been begging for him to be an Oriole since he left Mt St Joe and later, GT.

He would have a lot of pressure...There is no doubt about that.

I dont think the Baltimore media has the ability to arouse that kind of storm and I also think he'll be red carpeted the entire way. Do you think Cal had pressure? I am not comparing him to Cal but the hooplah surrounding him will make him bullet proof unless he completely falls on his face...and I honestly don't see that happening.

There is one huge benefit to trading for Tex. Better to find out he's not the kind of guy you want to commit a long term contract and possibly $100m+ to before the commitment is made.
That's worth giving up DCab and Ray? those guys might get you Crawford or at least Baldelli.

That's worth giving up DCab and Ray? those guys might get you Crawford or at least Baldelli.

What's the infatuation with Baldelli? He may be young, but he is once again on the 60-day DL. Decent average, decent OBP, decent power, etc. He plays a position that we need, but right now, I wouldn't give up Ray and Cabrera for him. Let's see him stay healthy and improve his stats before we trade anyone for him.

I dont doubt that those expectation will be lofty. But I also remember a certain hometown hero whose stats were less than stellar for a few years but because of a certain record breaking streak and his ability to be humble, respectful etc...we loved him. I think Mark comes from that same kind of mold. Actually I know he does and I think he'll still put up 280/35 and give the fans something to love for 6-8 years. I think it's an automatic win/win situation with someone who is currently miserable in Texas and is without a doubt a bonefied hitting machine...trust me on this one.

Mark coming here is the best thing that would happen to this franchise in the last maybe...10 years.

Cal grew up an Oriole and won a World Series early in his career. He earned his place in the hearts of O's fans early on. He wasn't asked to come in and be the savior of a languishing franchise. The expectations would be different and harder to live up to then anything Cal had to deal with.

From playing with and against Tex for so many years - you can honestly trust in the fact that a) Tex is a stand up guy that is more than likely just frustrated with an organization. b) he wants to come either here or Atlanta to play c) he will be all about the money at some point d) He is articulate, thoughtful, and highly competitive and would be a great addition to the face of the orioles and to the clubhouse.

If I were Tex I would rather play out the 1.5 years of my contract in B'more than Texas. I can see if I like it here, if the team builds around me and then I can leave for FA if I'm not completely satisfied.

Less-than-flattering portrayal from Dallas Morning News columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor:

HEADLINE: Time for Teixeira to take off

SUBHEAD: Chronic complainer no longer a good fit in Rangers clubhouse

Some of the highlights:

• Clearly, Teixeira no longer wants to play for the Rangers. The feeling, however, is mutual.

• It's Teixeira's fault because he's a chronic complainer.

Think about it. He didn't like playing for Buck Showalter. Now, he doesn't like playing for Ron Washington. Those guys couldn't be more different in their approaches.

That tells me Teixeira or his agent, Scott Boras, is the problem.

• Teixeira is supposed to be one of the team's leaders. Instead of talking about trying to help his teammates sustain the momentum created in the last month with a 15-8 surge, he criticized virtually every facet of the organization.

More important, he failed to take any responsibility for the Rangers' poor record this season or any other year that he's been with the club.

• The Rangers aren't going to get a platinum package of prospects for Teixeira, but they would accept a gold package.

• He declined because he didn't want to travel that much, so he played one game in Frisco. Perhaps, we shouldn't have been surprised.

For the full story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/071307dnspotaylor.3c4f98e.html

In case it isn't obvious, team's "put" information out through the media. If I were the rangers, I'd sure want to be certain that my fanbase were behind me if I wanted to trade Teixera.

This piece is kinda in rebuttal to this piece.

IMO Mr. Taylor misrepresents Teixera's comments, but then again he is a columnist so he is trying to be edgy and inflammatory to create buzz.

Archived