MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Some big energy company will go bankrupt Probably a few others in different sectors 

I think it's more likely the airlines and cruise industry (and anything vacation oriented), and they will probably get a bailout from the government. It's going to a brutal couple months coming up for them.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, scOtt said:

I know the suspension is probably for the best, and actual baseball games matter very little compared to the (possible) seriousness of this outbreak... but no baseball SUCKS.

Any diversion would be good now. Watching the news all day could make you stress out ,get depressed and get sick. Going to have some long Monoply games,poker,etc. 

i see the Cleveland Cavs and one other NBA team is paying their workers during the shutdown. That is really a good idea. People are going to go through some rough times .

Be interesting to see how quickly teams  refund the money to the fans who bought tickets. Mariners had a little heads up but made this announcement the same day their games were going to get moved out of Seattle. Some of the people who bought tickets to games ,might need the money in a few weeks.

ES2Kip6U4AAe4hG?format=jpg&name=medium

Everything you need to know about your ticket refunds.

March 12, 2020

View as web page

Refund policy for 2020 Spring Training games at Ed Smith Stadium

• Season Plan Members will be automatically refunded for game tickets, and parking purchased for remaining games at Ed Smith Stadium.
  • Fans who purchased tickets through Ticketmaster, Orioles.com, StubHub, or at the Ed Smith Stadium box office will automatically receive a refund to the credit card that was originally used for purchase.
  • Fans who purchased tickets with cash should send the original game tickets for a refund via certified mail to:

Baltimore Orioles
Spring Training Ticket Refunds
Ed Smith Stadium
2700 12th Street
Sarasota, FL 34237

• Group Tickets will be refunded to the group leader who purchased them.
  • Fans who purchased tickets through a third-party ticket vendor (other than StubHub) should contact that vendor to obtain a refund.

In the interest of public health, the Ed Smith Stadium Box Office will not be open for refunds. Fans with questions should call (941) 893-6312 or email springtix@orioles.com.

15 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This whole thing, however hyped or whatever it may be, is so surreal. Monday it still wasn’t real for me.

But Tuesday, my company activated its “business continuity planning”, which I am the planner for my division. This has always been a ceremonial job where I just keep the plan up to date. Rubber stamp. Move on. But Tuesday I’m activated. I’ve spent the last three days planning and talking and discussing COVID-19. 

Meanwhile my whole world is turning upside down. My business travel is cancelled. My beer club is cancelled. Trivia night is cancelled. Baseball and every sport, cancelled. My IRA has less in it than I’ve put in for the first time ever. Runs on grocery store essentials. Tom Hanks has it and so does that basketball player that touched everyone’s stuff as a joke. I’ve also picked up a cough in the last 24 hours. My St. Patrick’s day plans with my mother are cancelled.

I’m probably not going into work tomorrow. Tons of stuff is already cancelled all for Monday and through the week so it’s worse before it gets better. Think about workers in service industries who will not get paid or laid off. Think about people drawing on their dwindling retirement accounts. This is going to be bad for a little bit.

Nicely worded and conveyed - thanks!  Life as we knew it has ceased to exist and a new paradigm is before us.  Jayson Stark had a nice free column on the Athletic:

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I wonder just WTHeck sports media will have to/can discuss over these next few weeks or so. This is typically one of the busiest, most exciting times of the sports calendar, what with the NCAAs, MLB opening week, the Masters, etc;  and now….well….

I imagine they can only dissect covid-19’s impact on sports but for so long, unless something further drastic happens within that time frame. After a week, maybe two, then what? If I had to guess, they’ll probably hammer the daylights out of NFL free agency and the draft.

Was reading Melewski about Trey Mancini. He mentioned that Trey had taken over Adam Jones' Raven Tailgate event. Made me wonder how Adam is making out in Japan and the coronavirus.

Start of their season postponed indefinitely.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/09/start-of-japanese-baseball-season-postponed-due-to-coronavirus/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/03/09/general/npb-delay-season-covid19-coronavirus/#.XmvBLYh7lp9

Sorry if I'm repeating, haven't read the whole thread. I'm wondering about the "logistics" of the season, if/when they play. If they decide on 150, 140, however many games, they couldn't reschedule the season. That would be a nightmare for all the teams and stadiums. So they probably just chop off the first part of the season. A new spin on the unbalanced schedule. That helps the O's a LOT. Our first serieseses are 3v.NYY, 3v.BOS, 3v.STL, and 4 more v. NYY. 13 games scratched versus VERY good teams. Like UpstateNYfan said above, 100+ losses is almost impossible.

They can't start back up without at least 2 or 3 weeks of a mini ST. For the pitchers especially. I would think a temporary expansion of the 26-man roster would have to happen, again to protect the pitchers.

I would think a BEST case scenario is the season starts mid-May-ish.

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I was thinking about how they didn't cancel the season back in 1919, and it occurred to me that if they had Joe Jackson would probably be in the Hall of Fame.

True... but there's a good chance they would have cheated in 1920. ?

• Haha 1

Just now, scOtt said:

Sorry if I'm repeating, haven't read the whole thread. I'm wondering about the "logistics" of the season, if/when they play. If they decide on 150, 140, however many games, they couldn't reschedule the season. That would be a nightmare for all the teams and stadiums. So they probably just chop off the first part of the season. A new spin on the unbalanced schedule. That helps the O's a LOT. Our first serieseses are 3v.NYY, 3v.BOS, 3v.STL, and 4 more v. NYY. 13 games scratched versus VERY good teams. Like UpstateNYfan said above, 100+ losses is almost impossible.

They can't start back up without at least 2 or 3 weeks of a mini ST. For the pitchers especially. I would think a temporary expansion of the 26-man roster would have to happen, again to protect the pitchers.

Even if they start in May, I wonder if they wont be playing before empty stands.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Even if they start in May, I wonder if they wont be playing before empty stands.

Very possible. Even if they allow fans I would guess attendance would be down... maybe down 75%. Some massive amount. People will be scared.

6 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Best case.  April is no way that is happening.Once they started testing for real in NY ,they now have 421 cases and counting. How many others never tested and had the virus ,we will never know .