MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Very possible. Even if they allow fans I would guess attendance would be down... maybe down 75%. Some massive amount. People will be scared.

I don't know.  Restaurants and retailers are doing fine so far in my neck of the woods.  I wonder how busy the Ren fest is going to be this weekend (I went two weeks ago)?

Please give blood if you can.

By now, you’ve seen the headlines and heard the news. Communities across the country are closely monitoring the outbreak of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and following public health preparedness guidance. Part of that preparation includes maintaining a readily available blood supply for hospital patients. The last thing patients should have to worry about during this time is a shortage.

As the number of COVID-19 cases grow, so does the need for healthy blood donors. Right now, the American Red Cross strongly urges eligible donors to schedule their next appointment to donate blood.

Here’s the good news: Donating blood is a safe process and people should not hesitate to give or receive blood. If you are healthy and able, please come in to give. You can help change the headlines with a blood donation.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Best case.  April is no way that is happening.Once they started testing for real in NY ,they now have 421 cases and counting. How many others never tested and had the virus ,we will never know .

So far the US has been doing relatively well.

The United States as of Friday had surpassed 1,700 confirmed or presumptive cases of the coronavirus, and the death toll climbed to 41

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.  Restaurants and retailers are doing fine so far in my neck of the woods.  I wonder how busy the Ren fest is going to be this weekend (I went two weeks ago)?

We're on the edge of a "hotspot", 3 miles from MD. We're still planning on going out for St. Patrick's day.

Special corned beef and cabbage!

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A city will be quarantined somewhere in the US in the next few weeks. But other areas will not have the clusters and be almost normal. At least normal in this abnormal time.

• Earlier in the outbreak, U.S. health officials said there was a hypothesis among mathematical modelers that the outbreak “could potentially be seasonal” and relent in warmer conditions.
  • “We hope it does. That would be a godsend,” said WHO’s Dr. Mike Ryan. “But we can’t make that assumption. And there is no evidence.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/its-a-false-hope-coronavirus-will-disappear-in-the-summer-like-the-flu-who-says.html

Just now, Going Underground said:

Just the beginning. Just to test for real  later next week.

Not trying to be flippet, but with the 41 deaths, nothing to test for, dead is dead, and 41 families are impacted.

5,375 from what I read, is the death outside of the US.

Which is why I said, so far, the US has done relatively well in comparison.

Just now, Going Underground said:
  • Earlier in the outbreak, U.S. health officials said there was a hypothesis among mathematical modelers that the outbreak “could potentially be seasonal” and relent in warmer conditions.
  • “We hope it does. That would be a godsend,” said WHO’s Dr. Mike Ryan. “But we can’t make that assumption. And there is no evidence.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/its-a-false-hope-coronavirus-will-disappear-in-the-summer-like-the-flu-who-says.html

Not everybody is in agreement with the CDC either. Some have citicized them for their initial handling and leading to the hysteria.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I was thinking about how they didn't cancel the season back in 1919, and it occurred to me that if they had Joe Jackson would probably be in the Hall of Fame.

The War Department did order the 1918 season stopped on September 2nd due to WWI, so most teams played about 125 games.  Then in 1919 the schedule was 140 games, although it's unclear to me just why - the season began and ended on roughly the same dates as the 154-game schedule of 1920.  I think they just decided to have a shorter schedule that year.  Pretty sure it had nothing to do with the flu pandemic.

The Black Sox would have still been bitter, they probably would have just thrown games in 1920.  The game was rife with unsavory characters in the 1910s, it's likely to have blown up in some way, eventually.  Something like 21 players were banned or informally told to never show their faces at a MLB park again in the 1915-1920 timeframe.  Maybe Jackson would have kept himself out of it, maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The War Department did order the 1918 season stopped on September 2nd due to WWI, so most teams played about 125 games.  Then in 1919 the schedule was 140 games, although it's unclear to me just why - the season began and ended on roughly the same dates as the 154-game schedule of 1920.  I think they just decided to have a shorter schedule that year.  Pretty sure it had nothing to do with the flu pandemic.

The Black Sox would have still been bitter, they probably would have just thrown games in 1920.  The game was rife with unsavory characters in the 1910s, it's likely to have blown up in some way, eventually.  Something like 21 players were banned or informally told to never show their faces at a MLB park again in the 1915-1920 timeframe.  Maybe Jackson would have kept himself out of it, maybe not.

The 1918 flu in the United States did not really ramp up until late August or early September in most cities.This later version was more deadly.

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Saw this

The war ended in November 1918, and the clubs, hustling to get some of their players out of military uniform and into baseball uniform, decided on a 140-game card in 1919.  The season turned out well; in fact, a new home run record by Babe Ruth gave great promise for the future.  A 154-game schedule was mapped for 1920 and this was continued without a hitch through World War II.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ive been out to eat 3 times this week and the places are pretty well packed.

Stores are packed and shelves bare, like a snow flake in the air.