The Athletic: ‘Arranged marriage’ Gone Awry

Can_of_corn

" But also some Orioles stuff, too.  Probably because the average age of a typical baseball fan is advanced enough to remember when the O's were awesome and by the time you get that old you ain't changing."

You got that right, DH!!! Tried the Senator's before 1954 and it just couldn't stick. Afterwards, they were always bad till recently. I was born in DC, but rooting for DC just doesn't sit right for some reason. Maybe it's because I always said rooting for the Yankees was like rooting for the IRS and there is some connectivity there!  It's remembering the 60's through early 80's and the great teams/players that sustains. May never see that level of success again in my time, but damn it was fun!!!!! Wish that for all you "youngun's"!! I will pass to the Next league - always and Oriole Fan where ever they are !!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just can't get into the MASN dispute.  I know I probably should, I just really don't care.  

I long past it, I just long for the dispute to be settled and over with.

Without taking away my ability to watch the broadcasts, because I refused to pay an extra fee to cover this, as some cable companies are doing.

4 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

This is a fantastic article and definitely worth a read. Lots of new info.

Basically, it seems like the Orioles are committed to Baltimore for now - but a lot of doubt about their long term ability to stay here if the Nationals continue to win fans in Howard/CarrollCounties.

I doubt Carroll County residents are going to convert to the Nationals, when it will take them 2 hours to ever travel to a game. And I think any Howard County people already made the switch if they were inclined. Also the Howard County fans are likely just Metro DC residents that moved. 

Did the article really mention Carroll County? That just seem weird to specifically call out over Anne Arundel County. 

On 3/17/2020 at 12:11 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I just can't get into the MASN dispute.  I know I probably should, I just really don't care.  

What's the old saying...Billionaires (or close to it before the past week) fighting over millions. 

I will never warm up to the Nationals unless they get a new totem and logo and even then it will be just a necessary, but not sufficient condition. Walgreen's just doesn't inspire me. Even "Senators" was better--at least they are mammals.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I will never warm up to the Nationals unless they get a new totem and logo and even then it will be just a necessary, but not sufficient condition. Walgreen's just doesn't inspire me. Even "Senators" was better--at least they are mammals.

As an old fart that rooted for the Senators, I had hoped that would use that name.

Being in DC, I get the name, and it was voted on by the public and selected as what they wanted.

At least its not related to an indian, and be considered racist. No more Chief Wahho allowed these days.,

35 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I can't get into them because it's NL ball.  And really, it's just hard to pick up a new team and pretend to care about their players.  Sports are like a soap opera, part of what's engaging about your team is following them on the day to day....who got signed, who got released, who's battling for a roster spot, etc.

Like, if there's an Asher Wojciechowski equivalent to the Nationals right now, I really don't care.  But I care about what happens to Asher Wojciechowski here.  Because he could be a guy that could help bridge the gap between now and the next winning season.  Or he could be off the team by July.  There's some level of interest there as he pertains to the larger context of the franchise's story and how he does or does not fit in.  And I only care about Wojciechowski because I've cared about this team since I was 6 years old.

It's hard to jump right in and pretend to care about a team at that level.  I can watch a Nats game and root for them if the Orioles aren't on and that's fine.  But I can't care about the day to day like I do for this team, there's just not enough time equity there.