Roster takes shape for Opening Day (Sim)

Tony-OH

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did Davis finish the sim spring OPSing 1.000+?

Who was the last man out? Cody Carroll?

Yeah, I decided to keep both Scott and Fry over another right-handed reliever and Carroll missed all of last season so thought he needs to go down to AAA and put up some numbers and wait for an opportunity. 

I didn't sim out spring training just started out at opening day after making roster moves.

Few things that I doubt will happen.

Williams seems more like a starting outfielder than Smith.  Both offensively and defensively. JMO.

Scott and Fry are both more short relievers than middle relievers IMO.

Armstrong made 51 appearance last year.  4 of them were 2 IP.   None were more than that.  That is not a long reliever IMO.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Williams seems more like a starting outfielder than Smith.  Both offensively and defensively. JMO.

Armstrong made 51 appearance last year.  4 of them were 2 IP.   None were more than that.  That is not a long reliever IMO.

We had to put the middle and long relievers in the starting rotation.

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

Looks like probably he did, since he's batting fifth in the OD lineup.

Yeah, I dont think that's going to last, but I wanted to do what I thought Hyde would do on opening day and at least ik initially after Davis' red hot spring.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Dont get caught up in the roles so much in the bullpen. Like Hyde did last year,  these guys will pitch in various roles and and I expect a lot of flux.

As for Williams,  I have him starting against left handers and initially playing slavery third game against right handers.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Dont get caught up in the roles so much in the bullpen. Like Hyde did last year,  these guys will pitch in various roles and and I expect a lot of flux.

As for Williams,  I have him starting against left handers and initially playing slavery third game against right handers.

I think the point is that the current O's roster is very thin in innings eaters.   A lot of relievers with one inning or 1+ inning histories.   There are 5 starters with little back up.   Velazquez as a long reliever.   Then maybe Stewart but his numbers look poor.   

Elias will want to keep his AAA starters at AAA until they prove themselves and it looks like Ty Black, Eshelman and Chandler who are 6.00+ ERA types  are an injury away from being in the majors.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Eric-OH said:

I’m going to let Tony sim the O’s season and that’ll be who I follow at the big league level this year.  Can’t wait to second guess his moves!  

He might not wanna open himself up for this amount of criticism.  Don't scare him off!

What'd be cool is if they had a famous games sub-game where you could dive into famous moments in history as the manager and take over.  Like, if you're in Game 6 of the 86 Series, you can pull Schiraldi.  Or, you know, you can put Britton in instead of Ubaldo...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the point is that the current O's roster is very thin in innings eaters.   A lot of relievers with one inning or 1+ inning histories.   There are 5 starters with little back up.   Velazquez as a long reliever.   Then maybe Stewart but his numbers look poor.   

Elias will want to keep his AAA starters at AAA until they prove themselves and it looks like Ty Black, Eshelman and Chandler who are 6.00+ ERA types  are an injury away from being in the majors.

Well in your sim, you can do what you like. In mine, we're doing it this way.

Last year Hyde used multiple relievers for two innings that typically were one inning guys and I will try to squeeze that out of guys as well (Bleier, Castro, Fry, Scott and Armstrong). It will depend in how tired they are which is affected by the number of pitches they throw in an outing.

I sent Stewart to AAA to start because I want to see if I can use him to eat innings in that role if Milone or LeBlanc implode and one of the prospects (Akin, Zimmerman,Kremer) are not ready yet.

My guess is the there will be more long relievers brought up when the bullpen is shot, which will probably occur quite often because I don't think this rotation is going to be very good.