Orioles going big in IFA?

ISU94

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Go big?

I doubt believe they will break the banks and go after one of the top 3.

I see them sign a bunch of the medium prospects. IMO

At least they are now in this market.

There’s no such thing as “breaking the banks,” since spending is capped.    It’s all a matter of how they spend their allotment.    Last year their top expenditure was in the $400-500k range, I believe.   Maybe this year we snag a guy or two in the $750k - $1 mm range?     That guy on the video looks pretty worthy!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There’s no such thing as “breaking the banks,” since spending is capped.    It’s all a matter of how they spend their allotment.    Last year their top expenditure was in the $400-500k range, I believe.   Maybe this year we snag a guy or two in the $750k - $1 mm range?     That guy on the video looks pretty worthy!

They traded around and got extra slot money last year and went after the top pair.

I dont see that happening, but  heck what do I know. :) :) :) :)

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Go big?

I doubt believe they will break the banks and go after one of the top 3.

I see them sign a bunch of the medium prospects. IMO

At least they are now in this market.

Personally I was resigned to the thought that the O's would never be serious international players, so it feels like a dream to even be mentioned in articles like this. Encouraging that Elias and Perez seem to be working toward fulfilling their promises in this area. A very positive sign.

1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Personally I was resigned to the thought that the O's would never be serious international players, so it feels like a dream to even be mentioned in articles like this. Encouraging that Elias and Perez seem to be working toward fulfilling their promises in this area. A very positive sign.

Totally agreed.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They traded around and got extra slot money last year and went after the top pair.

I dont see that happening, but  heck what do I know. :) :) :) :)

Talking about the Mesa Bros? They weren't the top players, they were just late to defect for the signing period, so they were the only ones left to be considered true prospects... Not to mention a recent defection means they had no prior relationships or agreements with clubs. Most well regarded prospects are not up for grabs at that point in the process.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CallMeBrooksie said:

Talking about the Mesa Bros? They weren't the top players, they were just late to defect for the signing period, so they were the only ones left to be considered true prospects... Not to mention a recent defection means they had no prior relationships or agreements with clubs. Most well regarded prospects are not up for grabs at that point in the process.

I thought the one Mesa Brother was ranked #1?????

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Agreed. Always bummed me out when I'd see IFA come and go with no notable additions.

The fact we're being mentioned as a major player when it takes time to develop relationships already makes me feel very much optimistic for the future.

So, if one searches for the article, it is behind a Baseball America paywall, but on Bing the first sentence of the article is listed with the name Maikol Hernandez, SS.  The top prospect lists and more are also behind the paywall so one can't see if this prospect made any lists.  Anyway, the article appears to acknowledge the Orioles growing investment/success internationally (which might include a pretty highly rated prospect this year) which is certainly in sync with promises/efforts by our new front office.

J.J. Cooper Baseball America

The changes to the international amateur market are also somewhat up in the air. MLB has the flexibility to move the start of the signing period to any point from its current July 2 opening to as far back as Jan. 15, 2021. Similarly, MLB has flexibility to move the following signing period’s start date and end date as well. In the case of international signees, their bonus payment timetable remains as it has been in past years, without the set deferment dates as have been set for the MLB draft.

Perhaps just as important, MLB teams will not be allowed to trade bonus pool allotments in either of the next two international signing periods. In past years, teams could acquire up to 50 percent on top of their pool allotment through trades with other teams. That could create headaches for some teams who were planning on exceeding their pool allotment and will likely reduce overall spending to some modest extent, since teams who decide not to spend all of their international bonus pool cannot trade that money to other teams.

If the international signing period is pushed back, player signings will still be treated as if they occurred during the 2020 season, which will be important for Rule 5 eligibility and 40-man roster eligibility in future years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

So, if one searches for the article, it is behind a Baseball America paywall, but on Bing the first sentence of the article is listed with the name Maikol Hernandez, SS.  

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Maikol Hernandez, SS, Venezuela

He's a physical, athletic shortstop with a chance to be power/speed threat, running plus underway in the 60-yard dash with a fairly easy swing, a fast bat and over-the-fence power from the right side. Hernandez trains with Jhoan Hidalgo.

Looks like a big boy for a shortstop!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Maikol Hernandez, SS, Venezuela

He's a physical, athletic shortstop with a chance to be power/speed threat, running plus underway in the 60-yard dash with a fairly easy swing, a fast bat and over-the-fence power from the right side. Hernandez trains with Jhoan Hidalgo.

Looks like a big boy for a shortstop!

The thread title did say they were going big.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2