2020 MLB draft will be only 5 rounds, take place in late July

Frobby

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

They would be getting the best players in the draft as well with your plan. Better plan would add draft for international players. 

How would they do that?  As Can_of_corn just stated they have (essentially) a single international player from last year.  If he fails, which they do all the time, they get nothing.  You act like they're dominating everything.

If you have a situation where the Yanks can spend $15M and the Orioles can spend $30M on amateur signings (making up numbers, but something like that), how is it that the Yanks will get all the best players?

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How would they do that?  As Can_of_corn just stated they have (essentially) a single international player from last year.  If he fails, which they do all the time, they get nothing.  You act like they're dominating everything.

If you have a situation where the Yanks can spend $15M and the Orioles can spend $30M on amateur signings (making up numbers, but something like that), how is it that the Yanks will get all the best players?

It's obvious.  These kids would rather make a lot less to play for the Yankee's farm clubs than play for Baltimore.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's obvious.  These kids would rather make a lot less to play for the Yankee's farm clubs than play for Baltimore.

This is going to be a thread derailment... but is there a minor league salary cap?  Could the Yanks offer up a bunch of contracts to MLB free agents where they're knowingly and willingly going to be assigned to AAA but they'll each make $10M a year?  The Yanks would then have a ready supply of backup stars, and they'd keep all these players out of competing team's hands.  The Yanks typically have a $600M+ annual revenue stream.  They could certainly afford a $200M MLB payroll and a $100M AAA payroll.

I'd like to see 10 rounds.  Five seems too short.  Hockey and Football have more rounds than 5.  

In terms of losers, I only see Minor League baseball and HS seniors who would've gotten scholarships to LSU or Vandy to fill the spot of the kid who signed via MLB draft.  More high school kids will go to college and hopefully end up with an education and better situation than pro ball, college juniors will stay a senior year not getting drafted, and seniors will continue to play or move on to more realistic jobs with their degrees.  Seniors, both college and High school who want to play professional would go to the indy leagues to play for organized ball contracts, which I think would improve the talent level in those organizations.  I won't be seeing 36 year olds in York throwing 82 MPH fastballs because that's all left in the tank and they are just playing until they can get a coaching contract somewhere.

Especially this year, I am curious how teams will draft.  I assume more college juniors as more video on them and then the usual High School suspects/top 100.

16 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

I'd like to see 10 rounds.  Five seems too short.  Hockey and Football have more rounds than 5.  

In terms of losers, I only see Minor League baseball and HS seniors who would've gotten scholarships to LSU or Vandy to fill the spot of the kid who signed via MLB draft.  More high school kids will go to college and hopefully end up with an education and better situation than pro ball, college juniors will stay a senior year not getting drafted, and seniors will continue to play or move on to more realistic jobs with their degrees.  Seniors, both college and High school who want to play professional would go to the indy leagues to play for organized ball contracts, which I think would improve the talent level in those organizations.  I won't be seeing 36 year olds in York throwing 82 MPH fastballs because that's all left in the tank and they are just playing until they can get a coaching contract somewhere.

Especially this year, I am curious how teams will draft.  I assume more college juniors as more video on them and then the usual High School suspects/top 100.

I guess they are only having a draft at all to keep players from top players going to Japan to play. As they won't have minor league baseball this year what is the point of drafting 10 rounds?   Good for college players to finish up their degrees.   

Looks to me like MLB came up with a plan to contract MiLB teams that met with heavy resistance, particularly from member of congress in those small towns and is now using COVID as an excuse to execute that plan with a smaller draft, while all those who were resisting are busy dealing with the crisis.

Just my first take.

In terms of cost control, the 10K limit for UDFA seems like the meatier part than the 5-round structure.  I think it does level the field for the lower revenue clubs.  Anyhow, here's what Elias and team would have faced with last year's class.

ADLEY

2A Gunnar v. 8 McLarty

2B Stowers v. 7 Rizer

3 Watson v. 6 Handley

4 Ortiz v. 5 Hernaiz

It will be sad if the O's cut Frederick as a farm team.   They are normally 2nd in the Carolina League in attendance with around 260,000 fans a season.   But Frederick will have baseball.   Some other team will pick up that fan base.   A team like the Hagerstown Suns will likely move to an independent league.

23 hours ago, atomic said:

I guess they are only having a draft at all to keep players from top players going to Japan to play. As they won't have minor league baseball this year what is the point of drafting 10 rounds?   Good for college players to finish up their degrees.   

Next year will have minor league baseball.  I also think there will be several minor leaguers who retire this year and would need to fill holes.

As to your Japan reference, Japan isn't having a season right now either.  Also, unlike the US, Japan has a limit on how many foreigners can be on a team.