Cuban wants to buy Cubs.

gallden

this will never happen...period.

the owners would never approve' date=' it's as simple as that[/quote']

There are a whole lot of folks that feel this way.

Frankly I have no idea what to think on that subject, but nevertheless it is encouraging to hear that Cuban's interest is (apparently) real.

Man, could he buy the O's instead?

Please?

Out-of-town guys worry me. I'd love to see a change at the top, but the thought of another Irsay scares me.

If Cuban bought the Cubs (or Orioles, Pirates, etc.) is there anyway he could move them elsewhere? Or would he have to jump through hoops to do so?

Out-of-town guys worry me. I'd love to see a change at the top, but the thought of another Irsay scares me.

If Cuban bought the Cubs (or Orioles, Pirates, etc.) is there anyway he could move them elsewhere? Or would he have to jump through hoops to do so?

That's nothing to be concerned about.

Bud Selig, and MLB in general, is strongly opposed to relocating franchises.

Montreal is the only city to lose a team in something like 40 years.

That's nothing to be concerned about.

Bud Selig, and MLB in general, is strongly opposed to relocating franchises.

Montreal is the only city to lose a team in something like 40 years.

I was unaware of that. Thanks for the information!

davearm, how do you feel about this?

I'm not davearm, but I can tell you that many Cardinals fans view with alarm the possibility of the Cubs having a "players' owner" with deep pockets actively engaged in running the Chicago franchise. A lot of the Cardinals success in the NL Central over the last decade has benefited from having a disinterested ownership at the helm of the Cubs. The Cubs have been the only team to consistently field payrolls that were competitive with the Cardinals, but a lot of that money has been frittered away through mismanagement.

Not much reaction yet at the Cards forums I frequent to the latest rumor, but one fan who's also a sports reporter doesn't think that it's likely to happen.

if cuban tried to buy the pirates or fish or bottom feeders, he might have a prayer. no way with the cubs. that will happen over reinsdorf's body.

reinsdorf loathes the guy. reinsdorf already has a cabal of owners who will never agree to let cuban buy the cubs so it's a lost cause for cuban. reinsdorf has many reasons. if cuban got a hold of the cubs, the white sox would become yesterday's news in the second city; an afterthought.

plus, as evidenced by that midget sampson's quotes, the small market owners don't want cuban because they are paranoid he will run up salaries.

cuban is a victim of his own success.

imagine cuban owning a team in the country's third largest market with no salary cap?

people mocked me before for saying this, but this would be dewitt's worst nightmare. sure, the franchise value may go up, but fans would be so pissed off because of cuban pushing the envelope and dewitt not keeping up, ticket sales, gear sales and concessions would plummet.

plus, the cardinals strong fanbase in central illinois would start to crumble.

interesting comment by steiner just now. a caller asked about cuban. steiner asked the caller how much money he had. caller says, "not enough to buy the cubs." steiner replies, "well, you have a better chance than cuban."

steiner also said the only way cuban gets his mitts on the cubs is if his offer is so outrageous that, as steiner said, "the owners break out into a sweat."

and still, steiner said, that might not do it.

Archived