O's have a name on BA's 2020 J-2 Int'l Prospects List

Absltgreek

Is the signing period happening this year?  I thought there was talk about postponing it.

EDIT: looks like league can postpone until next January in agreement with players union,  I guess they don’t have to worry about 16 year olds going to Japan or Korea.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The player mentioned by odogs101 above - Maikol Hernandez - is the prospect mentioned with the Os in a Ben Badler piece in Baseball America in March.  That article is behind a paywall, but we figured out the name of the prospect - Hernandez.  So this is not new.

Still, in summary, we appear to be the favorites to sign the #29th rated international prospect on a list from MLB and the 31st rated prospect on a BA list.  IMO, that exceeds the best case scenario for grabbing "our share" of the prospects at the top of the J2 class for 2020.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020-21-international-prospects

The link above is to old news, but have not seen mentioned here (and will be corrected for it I am sure) that the July 2nd 2020 date to open this years J2 class may be pushed back to January 2021.   Hopefully, a fluid environment to the 2020 J2 class provides an opportunity for a relatively new entrant for international participation to do better than a normal operating environment.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not going to say I'm disappointed because I'm not but a name or two at the end of the top 30 lists should be the minimum expectation for a team that's actually spending their pool allotment.

That's not really how it's worked...

Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. have largely taken care of most of the top end of IFA. Sure, there'd be a guy or two that would sign with random teams in that list...but it's not like each team has had a guy they'd sign each year.

Expecting, after just a couple years when these teams have built relationships for years, to be right there near the top dogs in this process would be a reach to say the least based on how this process works.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not going to say I'm disappointed because I'm not but a name or two at the end of the top 30 lists should be the minimum expectation for a team that's actually spending their pool allotment.

I think some are grateful, that they are actually in this market, to begin with.

Some even question, would they, or was they just playing lip service.

It wasnt that long ago, they would have no names on the entire list.

Ideally as the front office shows their skills and the team becomes a more attractive environment, they should be able to go after the top tier ones.