Red Sox Lose Second Round Pick

weams

What do people want for a punishment? Being series here? I mean selfishly as an Orioles fan I wish they would have been hammered but still. 

I guess I just look at things different. Once again whatever happened there isn’t some evidence trail left behind. There is no video of what they did, no paper trail, it’s all he said he said. Did they post what they did on social media accounts?  

I have no idea what did or didn’t happen or who knew what. I know this, how in the world would you ever really know? What was admitted to was not near as extreme as what happened in Houston. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

What do people want for a punishment? Being series here? I mean selfishly as an Orioles fan I wish they would have been hammered but still. 

I guess I just look at things different. Once again whatever happened there isn’t some evidence trail left behind. There is no video of what they did, no paper trail, it’s all he said he said. Did they post what they did on social media accounts?  

I have no idea what did or didn’t happen or who knew what. I know this, how in the world would you ever really know? What was admitted to was not near as extreme as what happened in Houston. 

They got caught twice.

Couple of first round picks and the max fine seems right to me.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

They got caught twice.

Couple of first round picks and the max fine seems right to me.

So the same punishment as the Astros? Your argument about it being the second time is fair but the year before a different manager was there for whatever that is worth. 

I would have loved that punishment as an Orioles fan. I mean I could argue one 1st round pick instead of a second rounder. That said I am not really that angered by it. 

13 hours ago, eddie83 said:

So the same punishment as the Astros? Your argument about it being the second time is fair but the year before a different manager was there for whatever that is worth. 

I would have loved that punishment as an Orioles fan. I mean I could argue one 1st round pick instead of a second rounder. That said I am not really that angered by it. 

The Astros' punishment was really light.  Well... the draft picks and front office bans were fine, but no player even got a suspension or fine.  Manfred certainly could have gone all Kenesaw Mountain Landis on them and suspended every player with knowledge of what was going on, for weeks or months.  Instead, nothing.

So I suppose in comparison to no punishment at all for any Astros player, punishing the Sox similarly might be a little harsh.  But none of these punishments is going to be severe enough to really serve as a disincentive to anyone.  A second round pick?  Really?  The Orioles once punted on a first rounder to sign Mike Bordick.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Astros also lost two second round picks.

The Astros "punishment" was a complete joke so this is even more disgusting, though totally expected.  Dissuade teams?  This flat out encourages cheating.  I would absolutely trade a world series title for a 2nd round pick.  So would every single baseball fan/employee everywhere.

Manfred is a coward and a disgrace, which is why the owners love him; people can direct their hatred toward the commissioner and not the owners.  The NFL does the same with their colossal Ahole in charge.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2020 at 3:45 PM, Redskins Rick said:

I didnt think Boston was going to get hit much. Just a feeling I had.

Are they as guilty as Houston was. Seams, when it first came out, it didnt seem to be as embedded or as long as Houston had done.

I get all teams cheat to a degree, or what we would call, pushing the grey line into sportsmanship.

Clearly Houston was way beyond and probably should have been hit even harder.

I need to reread up on what Boston admitted to and what they were charged with doing

On 4/22/2020 at 3:50 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I had the same feeling, since it was Boston.

I would have had the same feeling if it had been the Yankees or Dodgers.

Red Sox are a two time (three really) offender.  That is the justification for severe punishment.

I had the same. KNEW it.

tenor.gif

21 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Astros' punishment was really light.  Well... the draft picks and front office bans were fine, but no player even got a suspension or fine.  Manfred certainly could have gone all Kenesaw Mountain Landis on them and suspended every player with knowledge of what was going on, for weeks or months.  Instead, nothing.

So I suppose in comparison to no punishment at all for any Astros player, punishing the Sox similarly might be a little harsh.  But none of these punishments is going to be severe enough to really serve as a disincentive to anyone.  A second round pick?  Really?  The Orioles once punted on a first rounder to sign Mike Bordick.

Manfred had no ability to punish the players. Had already said any sign stealing the punishment would be team based. 

Unfortunately the reality is the only good thing to come from this is cleaning it up in the future. I don’t think the punishment here is the disincentive it is the punishment if anyone does this in the future. No reason MLB and the Union can’t get together on this and hammer out a reasonable policy as well as increase any team punishments.  

It seems the Boston cheating was a lot less defined in the report compared to the Astros. I find it interesting that Cora was key to implementing the cheating in Houston, but went to Boston and didn't bring a similarly robust system with him and had basically no involvement in the cheating that was done. That seems odd to me. Maybe Boston just did a better job coordinating what was presented to the investigation to pin the reply guy as the fall-guy. 

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

It seems the Boston cheating was a lot less defined in the report compared to the Astros. I find it interesting that Cora was key to implementing the cheating in Houston, but went to Boston and didn't bring a similarly robust system with him and had basically no involvement in the cheating that was done. That seems odd to me. Maybe Boston just did a better job coordinating what was presented to the investigation to pin the reply guy as the fall-guy. 

He didn't even know it was happening!!!