How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/mlbtr-poll-a-3-division-plan.html

a pretty unconventional plan thrown out there among the other multiple other plans.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported MLB could start sometime in late June or early July and scrap the traditional American and National Leagues for a season and shift to a three-division plan consisting of 10 teams apiece. Here’s how it would shake out…

East:

• Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Nationals, Orioles, Phillies, Pirates, Blue Jays, Rays, Marlins

West:

• Dodgers, Angels, Giants, Athletics, Padres, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Rangers, Astros, Mariners

Central:

• Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Cardinals, Royals, Reds, Indians, Twins, Braves, Tigers

The 10 teams in each division would only play one another during the regular season, so you wouldn’t see, say, the rival Mets and Braves match up. It’s a bizarre setup for those accustomed to a six-division league, but everybody’s health permitting, wouldn’t a weird baseball season be better than no baseball season at all? What do you think about this idea?

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

a pretty unconventional plan thrown out there among the other multiple other plans.

If no fans allowed, somewhat defeats the purpose of playing in home ballparks.  In that case, the idea of starting the season at spring training locations seems more appropriate, since it would limit travel.  And then if somehow MLB decides to allow fans, then move the games to regular home ballparks.

I think there will be baseball this year.  Opening Day on July 4.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think 80 or 82 is a lot more likely.  Has to be an even number.

You could have an unbalanced schedule that averaged 81 games/team with some playing 80 and some playing 82.  I advocate for that because I enjoy half-proving cludgy technical exceptions to rules.

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I've advocated for a three-league setup that's regionally aligned with little or no interleague for a long time.  In a normal situation this would dramatically cut down on travel and out-of-timezone games.

I  said a couple of months ago ,July 4th and sticking to it. Scottsdale Orioles.Will it last till completion? Don't think anyone knows.Virus comes back in the fall but harder,cases ramp back up like has happen in certain countries,after easing restrictions. I and probably everyone else is guessing. Virus does what the virus wants. 

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I've advocated for a three-league setup that's regionally aligned with little or no interleague for a long time.  In a normal situation this would dramatically cut down on travel and out-of-timezone games.

I dont disagree with you. It might be doable this season because of COVID, but IMO, I dont see MLB adopting this as the new baseball way.

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont disagree with you. It might be doable this season because of COVID, but IMO, I dont see MLB adopting this as the new baseball way.

Of course not.  Radical realignment was considered years ago, but all they could muster out of it was moving the Brewers to the NL and Astros to the AL because Bud was in charge and he was a Milwaukee Braves fan back in the day.

Although... nothing like a desperate emergency situation to get organizations to consider things once thought forbidden.

32 minutes ago, atomic said:

Do you believe in the Easter Bunny too?

No, but unlike you I'm not preternaturally negative.  My take is you're pretty accurate in your predictions if I build in a 50-100% negativity offset.  So if you say no baseball until 2021, I take that to mean opening day in July 2020.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No, but unlike you I'm not preternaturally negative.  My take is you're pretty accurate in your predictions if I build in a 50-100% negativity offset.  So if you say no baseball until 2021, I take that to mean opening day in July 2020.

What was your original prediction in the poll?  Seems to me that things are going worse than the models predicted.  

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

What was your original prediction in the poll?  Seems to me that things are going worse than the models predicted.  

June.  But that was a month ago.  And I don't really know much besides everyone involved has a very strong financial interest to have some kind of baseball this year. 

The only way your prediction comes true is if a massive 2nd wave of the virus sweeps the country before any real games are played.