Mancini: If baseball returns in 2020, it will probably be without me (Great article)

eddie83

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Source please.  I have not seen this reported.

It's in the article. Here dig deeper as well. He has a road to travel. The six months chemo is itself definitive of high 3

I am pulling for him as much as anyone.  But read the source article thoroughly before you "source" me.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, weams said:

It's in the article. Here dig deeper as well. He has a road to travel. The six months chemo is itself definitive of high 3

I am pulling for him as much as anyone.  But read the source article thoroughly before you "source" me.

Thanks for pointing at the article.  Though I didn't like what it said.  

1 hour ago, weams said:

The sad thing here, the chemo also weakens his immune, making him more susceptible for COVID.

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Trey said in a press conference today that he is early stage 3.   Expects a full recovery.

Of course he is going to say something along this lines, better to be optimistic than a debbie downer.

So based off one interview, you want to dispute additional information that has come to light and was published.

Once Cancer spreads to the lymph nodes, it usually not a good sign, which @weams tried to explain.

But, you apparently on a subject matter expert on colon cancer. Ive seen it kill a family member and its not a pretty cancer to deal with. I am also not a expert, nor do I pretend to be one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Of course he is going to say something along this lines, better to be optimistic than a debbie downer.

So based off one interview, you want to dispute additional information that has come to light and was published.

Once Cancer spreads to the lymph nodes, it usually not a good sign, which @weams tried to explain.

But, you apparently on a subject matter expert on colon cancer. Ive seen it kill a family member and its not a pretty cancer to deal with. I am also not a expert, nor do I pretend to be one.

My wife was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer.  Had some pretty radical surgery at Johns Hopkins and has been cancer free for many years now.        I expect that she will out live me and cancer will probably not be what gets her.  I understand the lymph system pretty well  from a laymans stand point.

And yes I have had aunts and cousins that have died from advanced cancer and its a terrible thing.

I agree with Weams that Trey's is regional.   The American Cancer Society  says the survival rate for 5 yrs for early stage three colon cancer is 70%.   We would want it be to 100% but that is better than that 40% that Weams stated.    Its sounds like Trey is taking the 6 months of chemo to gave him the best chance of not have any reoccurrence.

I wish Trey  all the best.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The doctor was speaking in general terms he didn't specifically say how many lymph nodes it had spread to in Troy's case. From what I've read it seems to me that the 5 year survival rate in Troy's case would be at least  70% but probably higher than that due to his young age and conditioning.  

I'm sorry he has to go through this at such a young age,  and I pray he's okay

6 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

The doctor was speaking in general terms he didn't specifically say how many lymph nodes it had spread to in Troy's case. From what I've read it seems to me that the 5 year survival rate in Troy's case would be at least  70% but probably higher than that due to his young age and conditioning.  

I'm sorry he has to go through this at such a young age,  and I pray he's okay

Trey said in the press conference that it had spread to three lymph nodes and they were removed.

• Upvote 1

I have been a Trey fan from the first time I knew anything about him, not only for his baseball ability, but also his character makeup.  In my experience, when cancer has spread to the lymph nodes the outcome is oftimes not good, but from here on it is up to the doctors and his Maker.  May the Lord bless you now and always,Trey.  

• Upvote 1

Reading this was a real gut punch. Maybe all this was common knowledge already and I was just out of it, but I'd thought it was just a little (well, "little") cancer scare. But Stage 3...geez. What the heck is going on?

Was just thinking about how lucky we got with Trey. I can't remember the last O's draftee who rose through the system and actually exceeded expectations to become an All Star-level talent here. (I guess some could argue Means, but just roll with it.)

Get better, dude.

For some reason when the news first came out I thought this was more than a stage zero.   Perhaps it was the way they framed the news stories, or just a hunch.  But it was still a shock to me to read stage 3, and I know it must have been tough on Trey and his family to hear that. 

Still the odds are on his side, he's young and a fighter and in great shape,  and I think he will beat this and I pray that's the case.

As an aside, I had a benign polyp removed earlier this year during a colonoscopy.  Could have developed into something worse if I hadn't gone in.So now I'm good for 5 years then another colonoscopy. 

But at Trey's age he would have no reason to have a colonoscopy under present medical recommendations. It's too bad they don't have a easier way to test routinely for colon problems than colonoscopy. . Cologuard at home tests are not that good for preventing.If they had an easier test Trey's problem could have been detected earlier.