Ok, this is completely unreliable so don't trust it...but a couple rumors

safoster

Ok...

Don't flame me, but maybe bigbird can substantiate these rumors if they are true or shoot them down if they are not.

A friend of mine managed to run into an O's scout and asked him what we could possibly see with the trading deadline. According to this guy...

Ramon is essentially gone, they're trying to shop him hard.

Attempting to find a taker for Gibbons, though don't know who could possibly want him...

Not trading Roberts at the deadline, but could see him traded to the Cubs in the offseason for Rich Hill...

Again, don't trust them...just thought what he said was of interest.

Intriguing. Regardless of whether or not the rumors are true, we appreciate your report.

Oh, and I dig your avatar too! ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Salty can slide on over the 1B.

Salty and Wieters on the same team = :002_sdrool:

That being said, I don't think a trade of Trax, Millar and Ray (the package one poster mentioned) would net him. But I've been wrong on plenty of occasions too. ;)

Tex for Cabrera and Penn/Olson

Roberts for Kendrick and Wood/SP

Ramon for Milledge and SP

Sign Jones and Weiters from draft

1. Kendrick 2nd

2. Tejada SS

3. Jones CF

4. Tex 1B

5. Markakis RF

6. Mora 3B

7. Milledge LF

8. Weiters C

9. Wood DH

Wood can DH until Tejada is traded or or leaves via FA.

I wasn't even considering Wieters. He is considered quite polished and advanced. Surely the Orioles don't believe he can come straight to the majors, do they? How amazing would it be if he was here after September 1st and given a chance to make the roster next spring?

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

I can't believe they'd bring Wieters straight to the majors... but just your even considering it makes me think. Live with Bako/Castillo for a month then move Wieters in? Would be fun to watch!

Interesting. If Ramon is traded, I would think that a trade with the Braves is next to get Salty. I've got to admit that I haven't thought much about trading Ramon, but it isn't a bad idea. He would likely bring a pretty good return.

I was thinking about this earlier. Perhaps the proposed trade to Atlanta is Millar plus a pitcher (you pick which one, depending on what value you think Salty has) for Salty or Salty plus one of their SS prospects...

Salty becomes the starting catcher for the time being, until Weiters is ready, and then we figure out how we can get his bat in (perhaps 1B as the Braves were experimenting with) or trade him at his peak for a good value.

We trade Ramon to the mets or another organization for some outfield prospects (or whatever is the best available).

If you want to get even crazier...if the SS prospect we get back is good enough to fill in, we can trade Tejada for whatever final piece(s) we feel are necessary.

This would be a good way to start planning for the future in my opinion, and free up some cash for additional pieces.

I think it's very important to remember that Wieters, as with any draft choice, is not a sure thing. I am a big proponent of procuring draft choices and building from within, but to annoit Wieters as a sure thing is risky.

I like Wieters a great deal, but if a great young (and ML-ready) prospect like Saltalamacchia is available, I would say we would be foolish to not consider acquiring him. If we sign Wieters and he looks like the second coming at Bowie, then we can deal with the wonderful issue of having two great young backstops.

Exactly. The idea being to attain the best possible players, and if there is a logjam, we can make a deal from a position of strength.

Bigbird mentioned that many would be upset about who was being dealt to Atlanta if it came to fruition. Could it possibly be Guthrie?

If it gets us Saltalamacchia, I'd be fine with that. That's a classic sell high move. I'm as caught up as anyone with what Guthrie's been able to do so far, but that's a good risk. Especially since it allows us to deal Ramon for ML ready talent as well.

Bigbird mentioned that many would be upset about who was being dealt to Atlanta if it came to fruition. Could it possibly be Guthrie?

BRob was mentioned in previous Atlanta deals. And I would be upset. Same with Guthrie. I'd rather sit on him.

He has been amazing for us. No one can doubt that. But there is still that little voice in the back of your head...

And I won't even quote the voice... ;)

Guthrie means more to US than he does to some other team. If he fails or if he DESTROYS... he needs to stay right here to show what he is.

EDIT: We're stuck or blessed with him. Pick your word. ;)

First of all thanks for your info.

But trading Hernandez right now would be beyond stupid as his trade value is at an all time low. All you could get for Hernandez right now is a top 5 - 10 prospect.

And does anybody really believe our 1st round pick is ready in 2007. Last time I checked we had even signed him yet.

Ok...

Don't flame me, but maybe bigbird can substantiate these rumors if they are true or shoot them down if they are not.

A friend of mine managed to run into an O's scout and asked him what we could possibly see with the trading deadline. According to this guy...

Ramon is essentially gone, they're trying to shop him hard.

Attempting to find a taker for Gibbons, though don't know who could possibly want him...

Not trading Roberts at the deadline, but could see him traded to the Cubs in the offseason for Rich Hill...

Again, don't trust them...just thought what he said was of interest.

I wonder if House knows this information??? Seems to be a good reason to stay on if the Oriole starting catcher is here for only a limited time. Also, Im not sure about trading for Salty unless we talk to him and he has no problem moving to first. I don't want a Javy Lopez situation where he starts to complain becuz he's not catching.

I wonder if House knows this information??? Seems to be a good reason to stay on if the Oriole starting catcher is here for only a limited time. Also, Im not sure about trading for Salty unless we talk to him and he has no problem moving to first. I don't want a Javy Lopez situation where he starts to complain becuz he's not catching.

He's already playing at first for Atlanta. His situation here would be no different and thats once Wieters is ready which is going to be at least a year away realistically.

Of course, we would have to give up more than has been mentioned in this thread to get him.

LOFL! :D

He probably has a call in to bigbird now to see if the rumor is true! :rolleyes:

Just joking, OB! ;)

Archived