Would you move the O's to the NL if you could?

davearm

Stay or go?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Stay or go?

• No, I'd keep the O's in the AL
    • Yes, I'd move the O's over to the NL

This poll is closed to new votes

In light of a couple of threads running over in the MLB forum (one on NL inferiority, and the other on the DH), I thought I'd ask a simple question:

If you could move the O's from the AL East to the NL East (say the Nats and O's just switch places), would you do it?

Would escaping having to compete head-to-head with BOS and NYY be worth suffering through (allegedly) inferior baseball, and enduring watching pitchers try and hit?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an unpopular opinion to vote "yes" but I did.

The ultimate goal is to win. The O's best shot to win would be in a different division (or league). To argue against that, with BOS and NYY's wallets and TB's emerging squad, is foolish.

Some would say "it would be better to win while beating BOS and NYY" but I'd rather win sooner with an easier path than have to wait longer and have it be "better."

Winning is winning.

Hell, move the O's to the NL West. Angelos can save up frequent flier miles!

No… I like playing in the AL East… I hate the Bandwagon, the Empire, still hate Cito… and I am tired of hearing about the little engine that could…

It is time for the O's to have some cojones, pull theirselves off the mat, and hit back…. Not run home with their tail between their leagues and cry about division or league realignment.

Which team would sooner make the post-season? The O's of the AL East or the O's of the NL East?

In light of a couple of threads running over in the MLB forum (one on NL inferiority, and the other on the DH), I thought I'd ask a simple question:

If you could move the O's from the AL East to the NL East (say the Nats and O's just switch places), would you do it?

Would escaping having to compete head-to-head with BOS and NYY be worth suffering through (allegedly) inferior baseball, and enduring watching pitchers try and hit?

This would be a solution if we want to be a "Wussy" organization, A 'Cry Baby" sports city. Angelos has assimilated many fans(not you) into the "small market" can't compete in the AL East mentality. What a SHAME.

Clearly the NL East….. On the other-hand, I believe Tampa is leading the AL East… and while their decade of losing allowed for consistently high-draft picks, their team is built on the building blocks of successful scouting, drafting and player development…

The O's can do those same things, and be better equipped to compete for the long-haul with further financial strength (MASN), and the ability to augument internal talent with difference making FA's…

That's all I needed to hear. No offense, but stating that renders the rest of your post moot, IMO.

If you choose to wait longer take the route of TB that's fine. I'll take that same road while in the NL East and actually have a few winning seasons while I travel along.

This would be a solution if we want to be a "Wussy" organization, A 'Cry Baby" sports city. Angelos has assimilated many fans(not you) into the "small market" can't compete in the AL East mentality. What a SHAME.

Lol, fine. If wanting to see your team succeed as soon as possible is being "wussy" or a "cry-baby" so be it.

Give me the NL East baby!

That's all I needed to hear. No offense, but stating that renders the rest of your post moot, IMO.

If you choose to wait longer take the route of TB that's fine. I'll take that same road while in the NL East and actually have a few winning seasons while I travel along.

If your favorite college sports team moved down from Div 1A to 1AA or Div II they would win easier, but it wouldn't be the same. I want the O's to win ASAP too, but I don't want to take the easy way out. It will be much more gratifying when we slug the MFY's and Sox in the mouth and win the AL East.

I am in favor of dumping this idea that there's some divine stone tablet that says the O's have to play the Sox, Yanks, Jays, and Rays 80 times a year, while other teams don't. But just changing leagues is shifting baseball's problem around, not solving it.

They re-seed the NCAA tournament every year with new teams and new opponents. College sports teams don't play the same opponents every year. The NHL changes its entire divisional structure at the drop of a hat. The soccer world has all kinds of leagues and tournaments that make sure you're not playing the same teams all the time. Why not baseball?

My preferred, almost realistic solution would be to abolish divisions and go with a balanced schedule in a 16-team AL, with the top four teams making the playoffs.

If your favorite college sports team moved down from Div 1A to 1AA or Div II they would win easier, but it wouldn't be the same. I want the O's to win ASAP too, but I don't want to take the easy way out. It will be much more gratifying when we slug the MFY's and Sox in the mouth and win the AL East.

Completely different. Whether in the NL or AL, the winning team wins the World Series. D1AA or DII teams play for a completely different prize against completely different competition.

I think BAL has taken certain steps in the right direction, as an organization. That said, I decided last year that the '09 offseason would ultimately tell me whether or not the FO "gets it" -- that means utilization of resources, and not just following a TAM-style primarily building-from-the-bottom approach. In six months my answer could very well swith to staying in the AL East, but as of today I'd rather by in the NL East and playing in a less competitive environment (which better suits the current state of the franchise).

As an aside, it really pained me to vote "NL". As an ND guy I value tradition above just about everything when it comes to sports (yeah, rough decade for ND as well) and would love nothing more than to have a competitive organization in the AL East. I'm hoping this offseason will show BAL is willing to take the steps required to compete with three of the better run organizations in the game: TAM/NYA/BOS. Here's to me hopefully looking back at this vote with a slight blush, but I have to be honest with how I see things on 9/12/2008.

I am in favor of dumping this idea that there's some divine stone tablet that says the O's have to play the Sox, Yanks, Jays, and Rays 80 times a year, while other teams don't. But just changing leagues is shifting baseball's problem around, not solving it.

They re-seed the NCAA tournament every year with new teams and new opponents. College sports teams don't play the same opponents every year. The NHL changes its entire divisional structure at the drop of a hat. The soccer world has all kinds of leagues and tournaments that make sure you're not playing the same teams all the time. Why not baseball?

My preferred, almost realistic solution would be to abolish divisions and go with a balanced schedule in a 16-team AL, with the top four teams making the playoffs.

Not a bad idea, but this would make us moving to the NL even better. Imagine a balanced NL schedule where we'd get to play NL West teams as often as they play each other...:002_sdrool:

Archived