Would you move the O's to the NL if you could?

davearm

Stay or go?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Stay or go?

• No, I'd keep the O's in the AL
    • Yes, I'd move the O's over to the NL

This poll is closed to new votes

Boy oh boy, is this put words in Pedro's mouth day?

If you want it to be :D

The smell of diarrhea gets me all hot and bothered.

I misread what you wrote originally and was not trying to be antagonistic.

When I read this poll, the first thing I actually thought of was losing the DH before losing the rivalry with Sox and Yanks. I think the rivalry is more important to me, but I'm surprised no one else has brought up the DH. Watching the likes of Daniel Cabrera at the plate 4 times a year is more than enough for me.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You seem to be part of the "I just want to win at any cost" crowd. Do you have any limits that you wouldn't go beyond to win the World Series?

Yea I wouldn't load my team up with a bunch of steroid abusers and corked bats.

To Wit: I'd win without cheating. If the O's switched divisions in a perfectly legit matter and were able to win easier, I'd be all for it.

Straw-man, knocked down.

That's nonresponsive. Regardless of the position the team is in, do you see us winning sooner in the NL East or AL East?

I would say pretty much equal and if not equal, maybe a year or so sooner in the NL but who cares? I wouldn't want to suffer through horrible NL baseball just so we can compete one year sooner...It is meaningless in the baseball time table.

Yea, i kind of deny it.

This organization is so far behind right now, that I don't see us contending in the NL East or any other division in the NL.

BTW, I disgree with that statement RE: NL West. That division is an absolute joke. We'd be 9 games back in the loss column as of today and while we certainly wouldn't win the division, the fact that we'd be less than 10 games back after how awful we've been recently is mildly amusing.

I would say pretty much equal and if not equal, maybe a year or so sooner in the NL but who cares? I wouldn't want to suffer through horrible NL baseball just so we can compete one year sooner...It is meaningless in the baseball time table.

I care. And I also think you give the NL too much credit. I believe that we'd win much sooner in the NL, at least 2-3 years. The AL East will always have premier teams. How long will NYY stay down for? BOS looks to have a glut of young talent and money. TB we all know about. The divisions aren't even close IMO.

BTW, even if we could win a year sooner, that's one less year of waiting.

It's more fun to complain about being in the AL East and how easy the NL is. Though the Cubs, Phillies, and Brewers seem pretty darn good.

I'm not denying that the NL has great teams. But are you prepared to argue that the NL teams you've mentioned will have the level of talent that teams like BOS and NYY will have (not just this year but many years down the road)?

I care. And I also think you give the NL too much credit. I believe that we'd win much sooner in the NL, at least 2-3 years. The AL East will always have premier teams. How long will NYY stay down for? BOS looks to have a glut of young talent and money. TB we all know about. The divisions aren't even close IMO.

BTW, even if we could win a year sooner, that's one less year of waiting.

I am not giving the NL any credit.

I don't think you realize how bad the Orioles are..even in the NL.

They aren't close to contending for anything in either league.

When I read this poll, the first thing I actually thought of was losing the DH before losing the rivalry with Sox and Yanks. I think the rivalry is more important to me, but I'm surprised no one else has brought up the DH. Watching the likes of Daniel Cabrera at the plate 4 times a year is more than enough for me.

Good point Corncobb, watching pitchers hit is the dumbest thing since unsliced bread.

I feel fortunate to be in the AL East, not cursed.

Slaying the giants and outlasting our fellow upstarts in this great division makes the journey to the top all the more sweet. Yes, there is a chance that moving would make our efforts to win a bit easier, but alas, I would always feel like a general that ran away from a necessary hard battle, and took to fighting an easier one where his army's chances were better. He wins, but the victory rings hollow, and the general who emerged victorious in the epic battle elsewhere is lauded as the greatest.

I understand that in the end, you'd have to outlast the AL East teams regardless, but again, it just reeks of cowardice, despite the possible benefits.

I don't think too many folks are putting NYY on their best-run organization lists anymore.

Best resources, sure. Best run, no.

I think it's telling that NYY was the team to plummet in the standings when a perennial also-ran in their division finally got their act together. I've long said that, by their own ineptitude, teams like BAL and TB have been complicit in the run of success BOS and NYY have enjoyed. It's not just the $$$ (although that of course helps). Having only one other solidly built and well-run team in your division was a lot of it.

Shrug. I don't think one year shows anything. How many consecutive years did they win the division and how many consecutive years did they make the playoffs? They decided to hold on to in-house assets like Hughes/Joba/Kennedy/Marquez/etc and took a one-year hit (had the team stayed a little healthier they still would have had a great shot at the playoffs). Would anyone like to state right now that they think NYA will not be in the playoff mix next year, again coming out of the best division in baseball?

I wouldn't want to move to the NL. Even if we won in the NL East a year sooner, in the back of my mind there would still be a little dissatisfaction that since we couldn't win with the big boys, we just changed leagues to have easier opponents. Also, after having always been in the AL, switching leagues to try to win would be such a sign of futility that it would make us a laughingstock. Plus, it would take a while to regain the rivalries we had in the AL, and hating other teams you play against is part of the fun. When you add all of this to the fact that I like the DH, it is a no-brainer.

Archived