Would you move the O's to the NL if you could?

davearm

Stay or go?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Stay or go?

• No, I'd keep the O's in the AL
    • Yes, I'd move the O's over to the NL

This poll is closed to new votes

I feel fortunate to be in the AL East, not cursed.

Slaying the giants and outlasting our fellow upstarts in this great division makes the journey to the top all the more sweet. Yes, there is a chance that moving would make our efforts to win a bit easier, but alas, I would always feel like a general that ran away from a necessary hard battle, and took to fighting an easier one where his army's chances were better. He wins, but the victory rings hollow, and the general who emerged victorious in the epic battle elsewhere is lauded as the greatest.

I understand that in the end, you'd have to ouutlast the AL East teams regardless, but again, it just reeks of cowardice, despite the possible benefits.

As a fan, I'm happy to go to war with my team any day of the week. However, at some point the organiztion has to show me their willing to go to war, as well. This team has half the payroll it should have, a solid core of pitchers in the minors and an improved approach in the draft. If BAL can't find a way to put together a team that isn't a joke the last 1/3 of the season, they simply aren't trying hard enough. FA, trades, whatever -- the organization needs to show the fan base something this offseason. AM has had 15 months to take stock and come up with a game plan. It's time for the organization to get a little aggressive or creative over the next five months...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shrug. I don't think one year shows anything. How many consecutive years did they win the division and how many consecutive years did they make the playoffs? They decided to hold on to in-house assets like Hughes/Joba/Kennedy/Marquez/etc and took a one-year hit (had the team stayed a little healthier they still would have had a great shot at the playoffs). Would anyone like to state right now that they think NYA will not be in the playoff mix next year, again coming out of the best division in baseball?

It's obviously too early to say, pending the offseason moves the Yankees and other teams decide to make.

But as currently constructed, I think the Yankees would miss the playoffs next year too.

It's obviously too early to say, pending the offseason moves the Yankees and other teams decide to make.

But as currently constructed, I think the Yankees would miss the playoffs next year too.

I absolutely agree with this. However, I would imagine the team will not look the same going into next April. They may not always be the best moves, but the FO generally hasn't been shy about making agressive moves (excluding the Santana trade).

I understand that in the end, you'd have to ouutlast the AL East teams regardless, but again, it just reeks of cowardice, despite the possible benefits.

Fred, go climb a mountain. It's 6,000 feet high.

Wayne, you climb the next mountain. It's 6,300 feet high.

Joe, your mountain is 5,900 feet high.

Earl... Earl your mountain is 8,900 feet high. You better get going, because you're a failure and a coward if you don't climb 8,900 feet in a better time than Fred climbs 6,000.

Earl... Earl your mountain is 8,900 feet high. You better get going, because you're a failure and a coward if you don't climb 8,900 feet in a better time than Fred climbs 6,000.

But that's not fair to Earl!

Baseball is entertainment.

It isn't about winning or losing - after all, how are any of our lives actually altered by whether or not the O's win or lose? Do our children learn more if the O's win? Do our mortgage payments become smaller? Or our food become better for us?

It's about being entertained, and we are far more entertained if we have a team doing the right things to get better competing against great AL East teams than we are moving to a weaker division and "competing" against weaker teams.

If you want to see a weak team compete equally against other weak teams, go to Bowie or Frederick. You watch the pros to see the best baseball, and that's right here in the AL East.

Baseball is entertainment.

It isn't about winning or losing - after all, how are any of our lives actually altered by whether or not the O's win or lose? Do our children learn more if the O's win? Do our mortgage payments become smaller? Or our food become better for us?

It's about being entertained, and we are far more entertained if we have a team doing the right things to get better competing against great AL East teams than we are moving to a weaker division and "competing" against weaker teams.

If you want to see a weak team compete equally against other weak teams, go to Bowie or Frederick. You watch the pros to see the best baseball, and that's right here in the AL East.

You really think it's more entertaining to compete on a slanted playing field? I don't.

And I'll tell you, watching Victor Zambrano and Brandon Fahey square off with David Ortiz and Derek Jeter and Roy Halladay and Evan Longoria 80 times a year doesn't feel much like "the best baseball." It feels more like getting your head smashed in by teams that the Angels only have to play a couple series a year.

What's this "in a better time" stuff?

Pappas' stance has nothing to do with how long it will take the O's to win in the ALE.

I prefer the AL, but I actually wouldn't mind this move for a couple reasons.

1. I agree w/ Pedro's point(s).

2. I definitely agree w/ davearms' point that much of NY and BOS success has to do w/ the fact that 2 of the teams in their division have been terrible for over a decade and the other team has only been good 'here and there'. Alot of people here like to hide behind that "money"-card.

3. No DH means the team would have to stop signing multiple stopgaps every year like Huff, Millar, Conine, etc. and actually find a solution for first base. No more shaking the tree in Spring Training to see who falls into the first base position and sticking whichever aging veteran is the odd man out in the DH hole.

4. Being in the NL, the team would have to (god forbid) actually construct a useful bench w/ major league players. No more Fahey's or L. Hernandez' hiding on the roster. If this team were in the NL, guys like Cust, Knott and House might have actually had a chance here ...

As a fan, I'm happy to go to war with my team any day of the week. However, at some point the organiztion has to show me their willing to go to war, as well. This team has half the payroll it should have, a solid core of pitchers in the minors and an improved approach in the draft. If BAL can't find a way to put together a team that isn't a joke the last 1/3 of the season, they simply aren't trying hard enough. FA, trades, whatever -- the organization needs to show the fan base something this offseason. AM has had 15 months to take stock and come up with a game plan. It's time for the organization to get a little aggressive or creative over the next five months...

I agree... although the organization seems to be headed in the right direction. We have hope for the first time in a long time.

What's this "in a better time" stuff?

Pappas' stance has nothing to do with how long it will take the O's to win in the ALE.

Neither does mine. The season is a race up a mountain. The fact that the O's play in a division with three or four of the best teams in baseball means their mountain is a lot higher. They might be better climbers than the Twins, but they're still not going to scale 8900 feet faster than the Twins climb 6000.

Neither does mine. The season is a race up a mountain. The fact that the O's play in a division with three or four of the best teams in baseball means their mountain is a lot higher. They might be better climbers than the Twins, but they're still not going to scale 8900 feet faster than the Twins climb 6000.

Gotta say, I like your idea for a balanced schedule with 16 teams and the top 4 make it.

Let's dispense with the mountain analogy, since it still makes no sense once you put the speed element in.

I'd like to hear you defend the ridiculous comment that all four of the O's division-mates are amongst the best teams in baseball.

That's not true this year, and it hasn't been true in any other year, either. Even three is a huge reach.

Archived