An argument to keep Patterson in 08

biggrthngibbons

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they are about the same over all why not keep Payton for another year rather than trying to extend CPat. I doubt that you get CPat for less tha 5M.

Cause they really aren't.

CPat is much faster, has more power and is by far the surperior defender.

He also has more potential and upside.

Boras will have nothing to do with it if it is an arbitration type thing.

Better chance, as of right now, that CPat would accept a one year deal and try and re-establish his value than anything else.

I think CPat would be more interested in a decent multi-year deal that guaranteed him respectable $. I would be skeptical that CPat goes for a one year deal.

giving C-Pat 5 mil a year isnt too bad, his defense is great, i was hoping we could pick up Torii Hunter but it might be better to hold on to Corey, I think we get more bang for our buck so to speak, we should try to hold on to C-Pat

our priority should be to get rid of dead weight, and IMO C-pat doesnt fall into that category

giving C-Pat 5 mil a year isnt too bad, his defense is great, i was hoping we could pick up Torii Hunter but it might be better to hold on to Corey, I think we get more bang for our buck so to speak, we should try to hold on to C-Pat

our priority should be to get rid of dead weight, and IMO C-pat doesnt fall into that category

Although SG may be right in saying that he will take a one year deal to reestablish his value, I think signing him to 2/11 with an option on the third year doesn't seem unreasonable for either side.

Although SG may be right in saying that he will take a one year deal to reestablish his value, I think signing him to 2/11 with an option on the third year doesn't seem unreasonable for either side.
No. No. No. As I said before, you'd be creating a Gibbons II situation. Put Markakis in centerfield before thinking about wasting money on Patterson.

I think CPat would be more interested in a decent multi-year deal that guaranteed him respectable $. I would be skeptical that CPat goes for a one year deal.

With his decline from 2006 and the amount of CFers on the market I think he'd take a one year deal to get back out on the market in 2009 where there would not be as many CFers for teams to choose from. This team can use Patterson for one more year. MacPhail supposedly likes Patterson too so I see a one year deal as a possiblity.

With his decline from 2006 and the amount of CFers on the market I think he'd take a one year deal to get back out on the market in 2009 where there would not be as many CFers for teams to choose from. This team can use Patterson for one more year. MacPhail supposedly likes Patterson too so I see a one year deal as a possiblity.

Yea, i agree with this.

CPat is playing better now and he may very well take off in the second half and get much more than a 1 year deal.

That being said, as of today, i don't think he hesitates to sign a 1 year tender offer to try and up his value and be in a different CF market.

No. No. No. As I said before, you'd be creating a Gibbons II situation. Put Markakis in centerfield before thinking about wasting money on Patterson.

If by Gibbons II you mean Gibbons I + speed + centerfield defense + bunting + 2 or three years younger + no dramatic weight loss + not looking completely lost at the plate, than I agree with you.

I'm with you Tony.

The question I always come back to is, "will this guy be a big contributor on the next O's contender?"

I have a very hard time answering "yes" to that question when the subject is Corey Patterson. He's shown more than enough to establish that he's not the future in CF.

Might as well get started trying to find the guy who is the future sooner rather than later.

I'm with you Tony.

The question I always come back to is, "will this guy be a big contributor on the next O's contender?"

I have a very hard time answering "yes" to that question when the subject is Corey Patterson. He's shown more than enough to establish that he's not the future in CF.

Might as well get started trying to find the guy who is the future sooner rather than later.

If this were a smart team, i would agree with you.

But its not and the bottom line is they are much more likely to throw stupid money at Torii Hunter or A Jones than go out and trade for a young CFer with good upside or something like that.

Since that is what they ar elikely to do, i would rather them bring CPat back for another year.

Archived