An argument to keep Patterson in 08

biggrthngibbons

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
with Cpat improving at the plate and all the other intangibles he brings to the ballpark, I'm in favor of resigning him and obtaining a big bopper for left field, first base or 3rd base.

If and only if that doesn't stop the Orioles from pursuing a more permanent solution to the center field problem. Patterson on the cheap is a fine 4th OF/platoon player/pinch runner. Patterson as the starting center fielder against all comers is a disaster waiting to happen.

If and only if that doesn't stop the Orioles from pursuing a more permanent solution to the center field problem. Patterson on the cheap is a fine 4th OF/platoon player/pinch runner. Patterson as the starting center fielder against all comers is a disaster waiting to happen.

Drungo what would you rather have:

CPat- 1/5

Hunter- 5/75

A Jones- 7/119

Now, don't see neither or name a platoon or Fukudome or whatever...These are your 3 options for CF next year...Which do you choose?

Corey Patterson hits so far below league average that you need a big bopper in LF in order to bring the outfield up to average. The team wastes enough money on marginal performers; it's time to cut bait here. MacPhail's supposedly a big fan so unfortunately we're doomed to having this argument again same time next year. If only the team would establish a real kangaroo court like in the old days. Fine Patterson $25,000 every time he swings wildly at the first pitch he sees and he'll be working for free by Labor Day.

Fully accepting what he brings to the OF, I think CPat is a viable contract for us to re-sign, no, to persue. Aggressively. He's on a down year hitting, but is working hard lately to amend that. And if he gets on base... he's... let's face it... one of THE biggest threats in baseball. Period.

His down hitting year just makes it easier for us. He has shown, here and in Chicago, that he can hit. If he hits, he will score. Period. He won't be near what Andruw or Ichiro (got) or Torii gets. Sign him!

I am not a big fan of spelling corrections on a message board but it is "pursue" not "persue." I wouldn't have wrote this if you had not italicized a mispelled word, which is another thing that made it stand out!:eek:

CPat- 1/5

Hunter- 5/75

A Jones- 7/119

Now, don't see neither or name a platoon or Fukudome or whatever...These are your 3 options for CF next year...Which do you choose?

If someone put a gun to my head, it would be Patterson. But there are many options I'd pick in the real world over that, including moving Markakis to center. Or finding the next Patterson, not the last one after the shine's worn off.

If someone put a gun to my head, it would be Patterson. But there are many options I'd pick in the real world over that, including moving Markakis to center. Or finding the next Patterson, not the last one after the shine's worn off.
But the reality is the Orioles will not do this.

They will try and find the easy way out...Go with the established guy. They won't do a platoon and at this point, it is fair to say it is unlikely they will go out and make a trade for a young CFer.

So, given the LIKELY options of what they would do, CPat is clearly the best choice

Hell, they may even just start Payton out there.

But the reality is the Orioles will not do this.

They will try and find the easy way out...Go with the established guy. They won't do a platoon and at this point, it is fair to say it is unlikely they will go out and make a trade for a young CFer.

So, given the LIKELY options of what they would do, CPat is clearly the best choice

Hell, they may even just start Payton out there.

If it's the same old Orioles, if McPhail isn't changing anything, then it's all a moot point. They could go out and promote Jeff Fiorentino and get similar results.

We could try to bring back Eric Byrnes. ;)

If it's the same old Orioles, if McPhail isn't changing anything, then it's all a moot point. They could go out and promote Jeff Fiorentino and get similar results.

Hell, a Fiorentino/Payton platoon might be kind of(dare I say it?)...useful

CPat- 1/5

Hunter- 5/75

A Jones- 7/119

You really think CP would get a $5MM contract?

I think a lot of us fail to realize that CP is still only 27. I'd much rather have him for $4-5MM a year than paying Hunter or Jones $15-17M. If Byrnes can be signed for $11MM a year then you jump all over that.

You really think CP would get a $5MM contract?

I think a lot of us fail to realize that CP is still only 27. I'd much rather have him for $4-5MM a year than paying Hunter or Jones $15-17M. If Byrnes can be signed for $11MM a year then you jump all over that.

Huh?????????

Archived