MLB Pipeline: Austin Martin

Could you expound on the defensive expectations for Vanderbilt's Austin Martin? I've seen it mentioned that he had throwing issues this spring. Is that a concern going forward? What level of defender does he project to be at third base, second base and/or center field?

-- Ben W., Oxford, Miss.

While no one doubts that Martin will hit, there are questions about where he'll wind up defensively. Scouts had hoped to see him at shortstop this spring, but Vanderbilt went with freshman Carter Young instead. Martin opened the season at third base, didn't look good throwing there during the first weekend and shifted to center field.

Martin has had some arm-related injuries and there are times when he looks tentative making throws, so some clubs do have concerns. He has twitchy athleticism and soft hands, but his arm could limit him at third base. He's more of a solid than a plus runner, so he projects more as an average-to-solid defender in center field and could be better than that at second base.

---------

Not the arm for 3B,   not the speed for CF.  Best position 2B.     I don't want a 2B for the #2 pick.   Just another reason to take Hancock or Lacy.

• Upvote 1

Wildcard, it is a bit much to let someone get away with generalizing and throwing away Martin like you do. The bat plays.  Martin is #1 on some draft boards because the bat is special.  IMO, difficult to turn down the possibility of entering of 2023 with a top five hitting catcher and top five hitting 2B in our lineup.  

I would have little issue with drafting Lacy instead of Martin, but Martin is a bona fide top talent in this year's draft.

Weren’t there similar concerns about Anthony Rendon just before the 2011 draft, causing him to fall to #6 in the first round when the year before everybody thought he’d be the top pick? Didn’t the Nationals then pencil him in as their future second baseman, only moving him to third after Zimmerman hurt his shoulder? 

If the bat is special who cares where Martin will end up in the field? Last time I looked every team needs to have somebody standing on the right side of the infield near second base. Why not a guy who can hit? 

8 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Wildcard, it is a bit much to let someone get away with generalizing and throwing away Martin like you do. The bat plays.  Martin is #1 on some draft boards because the bat is special.  IMO, difficult to turn down the possibility of entering of 2023 with a top five hitting catcher and top five hitting 2B in our lineup.  

I would have little issue with drafting Lacy instead of Martin, but Martin is a bona fide top talent in this year's draft.

I agree that Martin probably is drafted in the top 4 because of his bat.   I just don't think the O's need a good hitting  2B more then they need a top of the rotation starter considering how hard it is to find quality starters  to pitch in Camden Yards.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Weren’t there similar concerns about Anthony Rendon just before the 2011 draft, causing him to fall to #6 in the first round when the year before everybody thought he’d be the top pick? Didn’t the Nationals then pencil him in as their future second baseman, only moving him to third after Zimmerman hurt his shoulder? 

If the bat is special who cares where Martin will end up in the field? Last time I looked every team needs to have somebody standing on the right side of the infield near second base. Why not a guy who can hit? 

Rendon dropped to #6 because for a ankle injury that required surgery late in his college career.    He was always thought to be a good fielder at 3B when healthy.   He was a power hitter and Freshman of the year in college by BA.   

9 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I think if you're going into this draft knowing you're drafting a bat first prospect, you hope and pray Torkelson is there at #2.  Just my opinion.

10 hours ago, hoosiers said:

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

they need a top of the rotation starter considering how hard it is to find quality starters  to pitch in Camden Yards.

I agree. I really like Lacy here. The consistency and K/BB ratio are elite, as well as the HR/9.

5 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

I think if you're going into this draft knowing you're drafting a bat first prospect, you hope and pray Torkelson is there at #2.  Just my opinion.

That opinion is shared by many. Personally, Martin is #1, but Torkelson is a consolation prize I would be completely happy with. A future middle of the order featuring Mountcastle, Rutschman, and Torkelson could be very formidable. 

I am okay with either of the pitchers at #2 if that is managements choice. Preference to Hancock - seems like he is being judged pretty harshly because of his first few outings to start the year.

7 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

I can't believe the draft is next week, I haven't been paying attention to the baseball news at all. I am desperate for some real news

Well it is June 10-11, not next week.  So you have some more time at least!

• Upvote 1