Who is to blame if there is not MLB baseball in 2020?

wildcard

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I don't think it's a blame game.  You might have commentary from both sides that rub fans the wrong way, but ultimately I think they, both MLB and the players, have to be cautious; and if that leads to no season this year as a result of being overcautious or simply paralyzed to act that's the way the cookie crumbles, imo.

I would hope in the future if something similar occurs that this experience would lead to ideas that would lead to some kind of product on the field, but who knows.  This is uncharted water.  I think the best we can hope for this year is some kind of exhibition season.  But even then, I'm hesitant to place "blame" if it doesn't happen.

And---------  I don't think we should be looking at the NFL as any kind of indication of what happens with MLB.  The NFL can say all day long up until when the games are scheduled to start that the season is on and then suddenly shut it down if things happen; and who knows how much or how little would have to change for that to happen.

I'll just say this.  Every major corporation has a business continuity plan on what to do in the case of emergencies, disasters, pandemics, etc.  Why did baseball (or sports in general) not have these contingency plans in place?  If you really must point blame, it starts with the management of these sports leagues that had no prior planning in place and are instead reacting to everything after the fact.

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is not what I think Olney is pointing out.   Sure the virus has caused a delay in the season and restrictions on how they will play in July and after, if they play.   But what Olney is pointing out is that the two sides are far apart on the money issue of how the players are paid for the season.   And that may cause the season not be played.

And THIS aspect I pin solely and completely on the players.  Right or wrong, nothing they can say as a group would convince me this isn't about greed.  If they fear for their health, then I assume they are staying home and not going out anywhere?  They have furloughed their maids and housekeepers and butlers and landscapers to avoid all contact with possible covid?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I'll just say this.  Every major corporation has a business continuity plan on what to do in the case of emergencies, disasters, pandemics, etc.  Why did baseball (or sports in general) not have these contingency plans in place?  If you really must point blame, it starts with the management of these sports leagues that had no prior planning in place and are instead reacting to everything after the fact.

I am not sure I agree that most businesses have a continuity plan. They should. I agree, but I wouldnt be surprised if half the ones with a plan, are so out-dated, they arent usable.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am not sure I agree that most businesses have a continuity plan. They should. I agree, but I wouldnt be surprised if half the ones with a plan, are so out-dated, they arent usable.

I think a lot of businesses are like individuals.  Their contingency plan for not having revenues for several months involves misplacing a lot of bills and not answering the phone when the bank calls.  You have to already be pretty successful to have months and months of reserves.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think a lot of businesses are like individuals.  Their contingency plan for not having revenues for several months involves misplacing a lot of bills and not answering the phone when the bank calls.  You have to already be pretty successful to have months and months of reserves.

Agreed, they always tell you, even if you just plan on owning one single rental property.

You have to keep reserves of 3 months available, at a minimal, for those unforeseen emergencies.

But, that said, its not always easy to lay aside that much capital, especially if you are still raising kids.

13 minutes ago, George said:

Neither the franchises nor the players are to blame. MLB is not an amateur league. The owners and players are in it for the money. Each side aims to maximize profit. 

I have no problem with this line of thinking.

But by the same token, when they return in 2021 or whenever, don't be shocked by the small crowds in their ballparks.  

At some point these overpaid "entertainers" need to realize that without fans, there is no sport.  So in that respect, perhaps this pandemic is the wake up call needed to improve the sports model across all sports.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dipper9 said:

I have no problem with this line of thinking.

But by the same token, when they return in 2021 or whenever, don't be shocked by the small crowds in their ballparks.  

At some point these overpaid "entertainers" need to realize that without fans, there is no sport.  So in that respect, perhaps this pandemic is the wake up call needed to improve the sports model across all sports.  

Agreed. I think both sides are greedy, and yet, the owners have lost money this season, and major leaguers have not, just the poor minor leaguers, that can least afford to lose money.

You would think that the players would understand this, and be willing to compromise for just this one season, but for some reason have dug in their heals. I am not aware of all the issues involved on either side. But, from my causal fan perspective, GIT R DON.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Agreed. I think both sides are greedy, and yet, the owners have lost money this season, and major leaguers have not, just the poor minor leaguers, that can least afford to lose money.

You would think that the players would understand this, and be willing to compromise for just this one season, but for some reason have dug in their heals. I am not aware of all the issues involved on either side. But, from my causal fan perspective, GIT R DON.

Yup.  If they are alienating us die hards who are actually season ticket holders, imagine what the casual fan is thinking?