Have you ever...?

Greg Pappas

...come across a post of YOURS from the past (obviously) that had you wondering what you were thinking?
Perhaps you don't even remember feeling like you did when you posted?
I have, on more than one occasion here over the years. LOL! I may be losing it. So, if you find it, let me know. :)

Feel free to post your old post here if you so wish. Hopefully I'm not alone. :P

These weren't posts but I thought Jorge Julio would be the closer for years to come, and Rocky Coppinger would develop into a solid 2/3 type starter for the O's. The were both 22/23 years old in their rookie seasons and I figured they would improve with more experience. Obviously that never happened. Julio did eek out parts or all of 10 seasons, so he did ok even if he didn't develop into an elite closer. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sure you could dig up some wacky posts of mine from 15-20 years ago.  I hope I've learned a few things over that time.  Like the impact of repeating a level in the minors.  Or that level of competition and context have a huge impact on the usefulness of numbers, and because of that scouting reports are dramatically more accurate than translated numbers from the low minors or amateur ranks.

I know I also undersold the impacts of PEDs.  While I still contend that steroids and other PEDs don't turn every Ryan Flaherty into Albert Belle, and for the most part we don't know who did what, when or how much, they certainly changed the trajectory of many careers. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I know I also undersold the impacts of PEDs.  While I still contend that steroids and other PEDs don't turn every Ryan Flaherty into Albert Belle, and for the most part we don't know who did what, when or how much, they certainly changed the trajectory of many careers. 

This is the one I think about a lot. Of course there are still players taking PEDs today, but even with the recent offensive explosion it's not on par with the late 90's and early 2000's. 

I think about Luis Gonzalez hulked out with the Diamondbacks while he was a line drive hitter with a lean build in his Astros days. 

QVfbPAH.jpg

rEfJ3uQdZVGBDrCQMEa1jeZUglhVPdKLqXvjgKRo

18 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is the one I think about a lot. Of course there are still players taking PEDs today, but even with the recent offensive explosion it's not on par with the late 90's and early 2000's. 

I think about Luis Gonzalez hulked out with the Diamondbacks while he was a line drive hitter with a lean build in his Astros days. 

QVfbPAH.jpg

rEfJ3uQdZVGBDrCQMEa1jeZUglhVPdKLqXvjgKRo

I still try very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt.  And to emphasize that we don't know what we don't know.  I won't get into these games of "we obviously know Joe Smith was on the roids because he hit a lot of homers when he was 30 and didn't when he was 23."  Roger Maris went from 16 to 39 to 61 homers in consecutive years.  Was he on something?

I really dislike the practice of giving passes to players we like while assuming guilt of those we don't*.  When it gets down to facts, we don't know if Raffy took steroids that one time on accident, or 1000 times completely on purpose.  We don't have the placebo test case, we have no idea of anyone's career trajectory if they were all clean, all the time.  And I think we can reasonably assume that a lot players were on drugs as early as the 1950s and 1960s, although not as many as in the 1990s and early 2000s.

But from a higher, more generalized level, it's very clear that PEDs substantially changed the outcomes of a lot of careers and the environment of MLB for decades.

* Except David Ortiz. He's a dirty cheater.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I still try very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt.  And to emphasize that we don't know what we don't know.  I won't get into these games of "we obviously know Joe Smith was on the roids because he hit a lot of homers when he was 30 and didn't when he was 23."  Roger Maris went from 16 to 39 to 61 homers in consecutive years.  Was he on something?

I really dislike the practice of giving passes to players we like while assuming guilt of those we don't*.  When it gets down to facts, we don't know if Raffy took steroids that one time on accident, or 1000 times completely on purpose.  We don't have the placebo test case, we have no idea of anyone's career trajectory if they were all clean, all the time.  And I think we can reasonably assume that a lot players were on drugs as early as the 1950s and 1960s, although not as many as in the 1990s and early 2000s.

But from a higher, more generalized level, it's very clear that PEDs substantially changed the outcomes of a lot of careers and the environment of MLB for decades.

* Except David Ortiz. He's a dirty cheater.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and couldn't we add that we don't know if a PED using player might not have had the same increased results without them, unlikely I am sure, but still possible. 

I would guess most of my posts from the night shift between 1999 and 2006 would have me scratching my head.  I often think, if I ever ran for an office, how many of my posts from the Hangout would bite me in the arse?  lol  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

I would guess most of my posts from the night shift between 1999 and 2006 would have me scratching my head.  I often think, if I ever ran for an office, how many of my posts from the Hangout would bite me in the arse?  lol  

You anti-snake position alone would keep me from voting for you.

Edit- We now have three beautiful black snakes living around the pool in the backyard.

• Confused 1

Thought I'd post a heads up here on the main board... I put a live feed in Hangout Club Forum to the NASA live feed of SpaceX's first MANNED launch of their Dragon Space craft. 4:30 If anyone is interested.

Sorry for the hijack, that is all.