2020 Draft Tracker

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think ownership has authorized it.

OK.  I wouldn't know about that issue.  I'm just saying that my understanding is the amount that the rules allow the Orioles to pay Kjerstad without incurring a penalty (if Servideo signs for slot) is $6,218,865.  If the Angelos family restricts Elias further than the rules do, I guess Kjerstad would have to sign for a lesser amount if he wants to play for Baltimore.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

OK.  I wouldn't know about that issue.  I'm just saying that my understanding is the amount that the rules allow the Orioles to pay Kjerstad without incurring a penalty (if Servideo signs for slot) is $6,218,865.  If the Angelos family restricts Elias further than the rules do, I guess Kjerstad would have to sign for a lesser amount if he wants to play for Baltimore.

The O's have spent their full pool before.  They have not exceeded it to my knowlege.  I don't think the 5% overage is in play.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's have spent their full pool before.  They have not exceeded it to my knowlege.  I don't think the 5% overage is in play.

Are you saying the rule has changed and it is no longer allowed?  I understand that you don't think that ownership will authorize the overage.  That is not my question.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:15 PM, Number5 said:

Are you saying the rule has changed and it is no longer allowed?  I understand that you don't think that ownership will authorize the overage.  That is not my question.

The rule did not change. Orioles have always spent their pool under the new rules. 

3 minutes ago, Screaming Crab said:

Can anyone explain the ramifications of Servideo not signing? With no news as to whether or not he is inking a deal, just wondering if the Orioles face any penalties at this point if a deal is not agreed upon.

No, they wouldn't face any penalty if Servideo doesn't sign.  The amount under-slot that Kjerstad signed for more than makes up for the total overage of the two over-slot signings.  Our total slot allowance would be decreased by the slot amount of the Servideo pick, and we are presently under that adjusted slot allowance with all of our draftee signings.

• Upvote 2

So the class as a whole comes in $222,000 under slot.

Per Spotrac, among the 19 teams who have signed all of their picks, the Orioles join the Mariners ($304,400), Braves ($131,000) and Pirates ($87,100) as the only teams to go more than $7,300 under slot.

8 teams went more than $191,000 over slot. Led by the Tigers at $615,900 over.

19 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Per Spotrac, among the 19 teams who have signed all of their picks, the Orioles join the Mariners ($304,400), Braves ($131,000) and Pirates ($87,100) as the only teams to go more than $7,300 under slot.

I know some will say the Orioles went cheap, but I think they had their eyes on a couple of guys that would have taken more to sign and then they got taken before their pick. 

I haven't seen what the guys before Kjerstad signed for so it's hard for me to say what they could have had. Honestly, I like the idea of a left-handed power hitting right fielder and there was no better left-handed power (according to most draft experts) than Kjerstad. 

I wanted Asa Lacy, but I did not do enough pre draft home work to really have a strong opinion one way or the other.

23 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Didn't the O's have the highest slots total available - had to have been at least 2nd highest.  So percentage-wise, them being $200ish K over is a tiny percentage.  The amount and the percentage aren't even worth discussing, imo... which is why I'm discussing it. :)

27 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Didn't the O's have the highest slots total available - had to have been at least 2nd highest.  So percentage-wise, them being $200ish K over is a tiny percentage.  The amount and the percentage aren't even worth discussing, imo... which is why I'm discussing it. :)

O's had the largest pool.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

O's had the largest pool.

Tigers spent more money though.

The Orioles pool was $13,894,300 and the Tigers was $13,325,700.

The Tigers went $615,900 over their pool (plus they paid a 75 percent tax on that amount).