2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Joe Jordan went against the industry consensus when he picked Matt Hobgood.  It didn't work out and Jordan wound up getting fired.  

Elias has taken a similar risk here.  On paper, Kjerstad is not considered to be as good a prospect as Martin.  Maybe Elias knows something and is comfortable going against the grain.  He'd better be right.  If Martin turns out to be the next Tony Gwynn and Kjerstad turns out to be a good major league RF, I'll be ok with the pick.  I wish Kjerstad the best.  

Nowhere NEAR the risk of Hobgood my dude.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Joe Jordan went against the industry consensus when he picked Matt Hobgood.  It didn't work out and Jordan wound up getting fired.  

Elias has taken a similar risk here.  On paper, Kjerstad is not considered to be as good a prospect as Martin.  Maybe Elias knows something and is comfortable going against the grain.  He'd better be right.  If Martin turns out to be the next Tony Gwynn and Kjerstad turns out to be a good major league RF, I'll be ok with the pick.  I wish Kjerstad the best.  

There's also been plenty of instances of going against the grain and coming out ahead. 

Drafts or super volatile, MLB drafts even more so. This also allows more flexibility to take guys later that we may not have had an opportunity to do so for money reasons. If they think the player is close value wise with Martin, then it makes sense.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree the risk is a lot less, but I'm not seeing much ceiling here.

How? His bat is next level and definitely the best LH bat in the class.

Let's not act like this guy isn't special.

• Upvote 2