2020 Round 2 (39): Hudson Haskin - OF - (Soph)(Tulane)

1 hour ago, justD said:

lungey and shouldery.  His and Westburg's swings just don't do it for me.  Westburg's hands seemed a little more direct to the ball, but I hate both of their lower halfs.  Maybe they are analytic driven picks and I hope they can turn into pieces with some fine tuning.

Tulane doesn't play in the most competitive D1 conference either, although its not a shabby division by any means, but I wonder what sort of stats he would put up in the SEC or PAC 10?  What were his numbers against better competition?

51 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Of course.  But I believe Kyle Stowers' swing also needed work.  Wasn't that the consensus?  

All swings need some work out out college, but when you watch Stower's college swing their is extension, the bat stays in the hitting zone longer, the lower half has some aggressiveness to it. 

As a high school/middle school coach the last 10 years, I'm going to tell you that that the amount of time kids dedicate to the game is decreasing at an alarming rate, and maybe this new generation of ball players is the best we can find.  Find athletes and try to turn them into players I guess.  Unfortunately, young baseball players only show up to practice or play if they are paying for it.  There isn't a lot of pick up baseball or sandlot anymore.  In the past, players got more reps because they lived a baseball lifestyle.  Maybe this is the main reason they wanted to contract milb and cut down the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Horrid draft so far.  Just awful.  Thanks, Mike.

While you can any opinion you want, you do know that MLB drafts a pretty much crap shoots after the 1st round, and even late in the first round, right? Maybe this draft turns out to be a bust, but it also could turn out to be the best draft in Orioles history. Let's remember, they have a lot more data than anyone on here or anyone making up mock drafts. 

I've been a bit surprised by some of the selections, but I'm pretty certain he is not a dumb guy so it's not like he's just taken names he likes. 

This guy has a decent upside as potential with some great exit velocities despite using very little lower half in his swing. That tells me he's got very strong hands/wrists.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't know. Weight stays back, bat stays in the zone a long time, and bat looks quick.   Only batting practice.  Does he get out on his front foot moe in games?

He loads up and gets that weight back, but it still looks like he brings the hands with him a little too much on the stride. I want to see more separation.  He plants hard on the front side, but I still don't like the way his lower half works through the swing.  Bat seems quick across the zone; I think it would stay in the zone longer with more separation of the hands and the hips.  You are right though; I want to see more game ABs.

• Upvote 1

Haskin's CF defense is one competency in this draft basket that I wonder if need perhaps factored into it a little.

Hays's medium-term viability there to be determined is to me a stealthy "big deal" as far as optimizing the Rutschman Supporting Cast goes.

It's an understandable hedge.  4-seams high and breaking balls low push IF defense to the edge of irrelevancy (Mayo, Correa, Westburg, Mountcastle might be a half ton of infielder in 2025).

Maybe we'll just do it with a 4-outfielder alignment.

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2020 at 5:33 PM, ScGO's said:

lungey and shouldery.  His and Westburg's swings just don't do it for me.  Westburg's hands seemed a little more direct to the ball, but I hate both of their lower halfs.  Maybe they are analytic driven picks and I hope they can turn into pieces with some fine tuning.

Is it just me, or does his head seem to move a TON before he fires his hands. I mean the fact that he can hit as well as he did with that much movement is a testament to his amazing his eye hand coordination is I’d have to think