2020 Round 5 (133): Carter Baumler - RHS- (HS)(Dowling Catholic)

Was looking through his twitter profile and found that he had put together a fundraising project for Pediatric Cancer. Wanted to find out more - but then his profile went private while I was looking ?

Wasn't fast enough but was still glad to see that about his "makeup" as additional info. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, justD said:

Was looking through his twitter profile and found that he had put together a fundraising project for Pediatric Cancer. Wanted to find out more - but then his profile went private while I was looking ?

Wasn't fast enough but was still glad to see that about his "makeup" as additional info. 

Smart.

• Upvote 1

Very repeatable delivery, still head, easy velo.  I like this pick.  Little "heely" on his landing in some of these videos, but with his low effort delivery, I don't see much not to like.  I like our 1st Pick and our last 3 picks.  I am not a fan of our second two picks, but they are both athletes, so they might end up developing as well.  These last two picks make me like this draft.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. I have no problem with these picks but the quetion I have on this kid is this:  Kids get rated on potential,  not signability.  So, if he has so much talent and potential,  who had him as a top 100 pick?  Serious question.

2080 Baseball (Nick Faleris and co.) had him on their watch list, an addendum list to their final top 125 list. 

https://2080baseball.com/2020/06/2020-final-mlb-draft-ranking/

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. I have no problem with these picks but the quetion I have on this kid is this:  Kids get rated on potential,  not signability.  So, if he has so much talent and potential,  who had him as a top 100 pick?  Serious question.

Good question--I was wondering the same thing.  The classic "overslot" guy is someone who is ranked highly but slides because of concerns about signability.  

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah. We got him at 133. Tony and others say he's a steal at 133. Ok.  Why? Just because he's considered a tough sign?  If someone had him rated 50 and we got him at 133 that would sound like a steal.  It sounds like a lot of the "experts" had him rated where we picked him.  How is that a steal?

What?

46 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Carter Baumler is an overslot who people did not think was signable. The Orioles reportedly will be able to sign all of their draft picks, which tells me they have agreements. What a steal as a 5th rounder. They call him a more athletic Zack Greinke.

Baumler brings a 92-94 fastball with a clean, athletic delivery with good spin rate that will up in the zone. Missed time due to mono but some believe he has as much if not more potential than the top two high school arms taken. 

This is an absolute steal. 

The Orioles basically ended up with three 1st round talents in Kjerstad, Mayo and Baumler. That's called using your bonus in a unique year the right way.

More athletic than Greinke, who’s won six Gold Gloves and has an OPS that’s roughly double that of the average pitcher?    I kind of doubt it.    But that’s high praise indeed.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah. We got him at 133. Tony and others say he's a steal at 133. Ok.  Why? Just because he's considered a tough sign?  If someone had him rated 50 and we got him at 133 that would sound like a steal.  It sounds like a lot of the "experts" had him rated where we picked him.  How is that a steal?

I guess part of his ranking was due to the solid TCU commitment? I don't really know, but Callis seemed kind of stunned when we picked Baumler and referred to it as a steal.