2020 Round 5 (133): Carter Baumler - RHS- (HS)(Dowling Catholic)

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Compare him to someone more realistic.  Greinke was drafted out of high school number 6 overall.  So he is surely a bad comparison. I mean I am not sure why you are arguing this point.   I have never heard a guy drafted in the fifth round compared to a Hall of Fame type player who was drafted that high out of high school.  

Comps are not based on expected outcomes. How many times must this be said? Comps are used to give you a feel for the type of player they are or could be. Here's how I interpreted that comp:

Baumler is a thin projectable high school pitcher, with precocious command, who has a more athletic delivery and body. That's it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Spl51 said:

Comps are not based on expected outcomes. How many times must this be said? Comps are used to give you a feel for the type of player they are or could be. Here's how I interpreted that comp:

Baumler is a thin projectable high school pitcher, with precocious command, who has a more athletic delivery and body. That's it.

Exactly this.

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

More athletic than Greinke, who’s won six Gold Gloves and has an OPS that’s roughly double that of the average pitcher?    I kind of doubt it.    But that’s high praise indeed.  

That's exactly what I was thinking.

2 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Also, the comp I saw said he has the athleticism of Zack Greinke, not that he projects. We regularly compare swings, or aspects of swings like leg lifts, or batting stances. None of this is to suggest the players are equivalent in their prospect status. 

I'm excited for Baumler and hope we can sign him. 

2 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Plus, the video of Baumler dunking a basketball evokes the pickup mania that "finally caught up" with Greinke.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6194714

3 hours ago, Spl51 said:

You are stretching so far to prove something that doesn't exist. 

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

You are stretching so far to prove something that doesn't exist. 

What?

As I've said, if you seriously think these comps that draft analysts are throwing out means they think they'll be who they're referencing I'm not sure what to say...they clearly aren't.

They just try to give comparable notable players the general fans know about that have a similar style of game+build. You really think Callis is saying Baumler is gonna be Greinke?

23 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

Saying that someone is more athletic than another player doesn't necessarily mean they are a better prospect. 

I gave you the :laugh: emoji just in hopes of someone giving you the :googly-eyed confused: emoji. It would give you a poker flush of reactions.

• Haha 1

According to the Des Moines Register, Baumler turned down two teams' offers before the Orioles picked him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/draft-signings-61320.html

Orioles fifth-round selection Carter Baumler has plans to sign with Baltimore, per Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun. Baumler is a 6’2″ right-handed pitcher hailing from Dowling Catholic High School in Iowa. The 133rd overall pick of the draft carries a slot value of $422.3K. Though the financial details of Baumler’s signing haven’t been released, some of the particulars behind his thinking are laid out by Tommy Birch of the Des Moines Register. According to Birch, Baumler turned down two other teams before agreeing to sign with the Orioles. Had he not received an offer to his liking, Baumler was ready to play college ball for Texas Christian.

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:22 PM, 24fps said:

PA is scheduling the labrum MRI as we speak.

We don't want him to be too good at basketball.  Though I think it's very cool that Pat Connaughton could win a world championship with the Milwaukee Bucks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Is it fair to say that the O's top pick can't be fairly evaluated without taking their 4th and 5th picks into the equation?  

I’d definitely say that.    That was the whole point of the move.     

Now of course, you can argue about whether Kjerstad was the right guy if we wanted to go underslot, and how much of a drop-off there is between Martin and Kjerstad.   For example, Fangraphs rates both players as a 50 FV and has Kjerstad ranked 7th.     Other sources ranked him lower.   Perhaps the Orioles rank him higher.   

• Upvote 1