MLB Implements 60 Game Season

weams

33 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

I love it and hope its carried over into future seasons.   In a 162 game there are far too many 10+ inning games that are completely meaningless, nobody is watching, and the players are just getting tired.  Tradition!!  Who cares.  Id rather have meaningful baseball with fewer long 1-1 ties than continue down the path of purging viewers and fans because games take forever and you ran out of pitchers 3 hours ago.  Id even be fine with ties (gasp!).  

I don't think it's a coincidence that we're getting traction on ideas to eliminate extra inning games during an era where a nine inning game takes about as long as a 13-inning game from half a century ago.  The 1970 Orioles played 10 extra inning games that finished in under 3:00.  They played a 13-inning game exactly one year before I was born that finished in 2:49. 

I could deal with a 13-inning game that was over before 10:00pm.  But in September of last year the O's played a nine-inning game that took 4:08. They had a 13-inning game against the Mariners that started on time and wrapped up at about five minutes to midnight.  There were probably 122 people left in the stands when Dwight Smith struck out looking to end it.

• Upvote 1