Our best and worst 60-game records of the last two years

Frobby

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will never be able to bring myself to root for the team to lose games to improve their draft position.    It’s just not in my DNA.    But when they do lose, I console myself with the thought that at least they improved their draft position.   

I agree to a point.  Losing the Akin/Kremer games and winning the Cobb game is less satisfying at this point. 

I will say the season has felt better (whether real or not).  Losing out and getting the 3rd overall pick would make it feel like it wasn't real, just a weird outcome in a shortened season.  We are certainly seeing some cracks that would make a full 162 be closer to 2018/2019 vs the 20-21 we were sitting at a short while ago.

Still glad to see it with young guys that can/will contribute going forward. 

It's an awkward feeling now for sure.  I mean, this is how Mark Teixeira slips away, literally.  The 60-game sample has been a known known all along, and it will be a little bit of a bummer knowing the endpoint will be drawn with Iglesias at .370, young SP's having had the new guy honeymoons, and feeling in your bones that teams very likely better than the 2020 Orioles over 162 will get earlier cracks at one last cornerstone before the Rutschman Orioles really start picking up steam.

Nevertheless these 9 weeks have generally been a day to day joy to behold, and if Anthony Santander can fake the Mark Teixeira things for awhile, the cosmic scales may have a little bit more balance.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Philip said:

I posted earlier that the 2005 team finished the first 60 games 36-24, it was only after that they proceeded to self-destruct.

And of course the 2020 Nats had the EXACT same record after 50 games, 19-31, as the 2019 Nats.

One team won it all, one is going to finish last 

58 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And of course the 2020 Nats had the EXACT same record after 50 games, 19-31, as the 2019 Nats.

One team won it all, one is going to finish last 

The 2019 Nats were lucky, this year, lucky or not, they don’t have a chance to make good on the earlier mistakes. Given the progress this team has and has not made, I wonder how we would do over the next 142 games with this group of guys?

11 hours ago, jerios55 said:

I agree to a point.  Losing the Akin/Kremer games and winning the Cobb game is less satisfying at this point. 

I will say the season has felt better (whether real or not).  Losing out and getting the 3rd overall pick would make it feel like it wasn't real, just a weird outcome in a shortened season.  We are certainly seeing some cracks that would make a full 162 be closer to 2018/2019 vs the 20-21 we were sitting at a short while ago.

Still glad to see it with young guys that can/will contribute going forward. 

I think at the moment, we get the 8th pick

10 hours ago, Philip said:

I think at the moment, we get the 8th pick

After last night 6th.  

My guess is nats find a way to tie us and we finish 5th.  Lots can happen (someone broke down says to go as early as 3 and as late as 10.  Based on all the scenarios, 5 to 7 seems fairly likely.