Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Sir_Loin

16 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

1) You don’t know this .... anything could’ve happened. An injury, a slump, big years by other players, etc. Maybe Kjerstad has a stellar year any moves up as you suggest. But it’s far from a certainty.

2) Let me know when Kjerstad has produced 20 WAR! Then we can discuss this further, and you certainly have a right to your opinion. I’m not saying I know one way or the other. I think the Orioles would be content with a return of Burnitz value. As l mentioned, 70% of the guys selected in the 1st round in almost any given year won’t amount to much. 

Nothing about a draft is certain. Martin may have had a major slump, an injury, or whatever. No?  A leg injury to Martin that limits his speed would be huge for his value. The bat would have to carry him more. 

The model that Sig and Elias had apparently believes it was likely that Kjerstad would ascend in a similar way as Bleday. Young players improve, sometimes in a rapid fashion at this age. That is what we all hope for. The Orioles front office are standing behind their work. It’s a gamble, sure. But it’s an educated one. You have to admit, they are ballsy. They are strong in their belief in their system. 

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Burnitz and Bruce are/were basically the same player.

I suppose so. It’s disappointing to see how Bruce’s career plateaued at a fairly young age. Burnitz was a little better than I remembered. 

32 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I suppose so. It’s disappointing to see how Bruce’s career plateaued at a fairly young age. Burnitz was a little better than I remembered. 

Bruce is the poster boy for all that's wrong with baseball free agency.  Just as he got expensive he turned into a 1-win player.  He's probably now 10% better than DJ Stewart at 28 times the price.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Swagger isn’t knocking down the first baseman on that play. 

I won't get into the middle of the pi$$ing contest but Kjerstad hustled back to the bag and the 1B was shifting toward the bag after receiving the throw and IMO 1B was over the bag as Kjerstad got there. They collide, 1B looses his balance and falls backward. There was solid body contact IMO though. Kjerstad could have grabbed him, maybe.  I don't see a cheap shot and I'm FAR from a Homer. If anyone is "insinuating" it's you. You view Martin as BPA, I thought Lacy. I agree with SG, Martin isn't that highly rated unless he stays on left side of IF or CF. I think his comp is becoming Roberts and I would go back to WC pre-draft posts against using #2 for a 2B. Manny did far worse than that.

9 hours ago, makoman said:

9 players had over 170 Ks last year. They were worth (fWAR)

4.5, 5.6, 4.8, 3.6, 4.6, 0.3, 4.0, 5.8, 2.2.

Roughned Odor was the outlier, but there's no reason at this point to think this kid is going to hit .205.

15-20 homers, high average and OBP, lots of doubles. That's what, Bryan Reynolds? Trea Turner? Whit Merrifield? Corey Seagor? 3.2, 3.5, 2.9, 3.3. You'd prefer Ozzie Albies or Jeff McNeil, both 4.6, but up in the 20s HR. Nothing wrong with that kind of guy at all, but let's not act like they are far and away better than guys who hit lots of homers and strike out a ton.  Being a 15 HR guy in 2009 was different than 2019. It would be nice if we knew Martin would be adequate at a premium position but that's far from set in stone.

See ...this is just another example of a poor post! Show me where anybody predicted Kjerstad would have a -205 batting average. Is it poor comprehension, are just stupid, or are you hoping to get some free rep for saying something truly ridiculous like it was a fact.

Heres a fact for you absurd post, If Kjerstad hits .205 or anywhere close to it after year 2 in the majors he won’t be around very long. Also the only reason Chris Davis and his 27 million dollar contract didn’t make that list is he was essentially a part time player 139Ks in 352 ABs. 

Why would you only use players that make your argument ....As been said by someone else, Whitaker, Pedroia, Molitor (22 HRs was his highest), Wade Boggs (22 was highest and his second highest was 11). See, I can do it too!

The guy is widely considered to have the best bat in the draft. I have no idea what he will be anymore or less than you do! Same with Kjerstad! But, I still think he’s the better prospect and don’t think is by a narrow margin. That is my opinion....If I end up being wrong at very least I will be man enough to admit it! I’m betting most of the guys on the other side of it won’t.....wait and see! 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

5.2M

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

For how much?

So he took 2.5 million less .... I rest my case! If the Orioles or Kjerstad thought there was a narrow margin between him and Martin, Lacy etc .....He doesn’t accept 2.5 million light.

2 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

I won't get into the middle of the pi$$ing contest but Kjerstad hustled back to the bag and the 1B was shifting toward the bag after receiving the throw and IMO 1B was over the bag as Kjerstad got there. They collide, 1B looses his balance and falls backward. There was solid body contact IMO though. Kjerstad could have grabbed him, maybe.  I don't see a cheap shot and I'm FAR from a Homer. If anyone is "insinuating" it's you. You view Martin as BPA, I thought Lacy. I agree with SG, Martin isn't that highly rated unless he stays on left side of IF or CF. I think his comp is becoming Roberts and I would go back to WC pre-draft posts against using #2 for a 2B. Manny did far worse than that.

I wasn’t the only one .... @Can_of_corn was the guy saying it was a D*** move. I gave my opinion. I get it, it’s a fan site and there will be homerism. At least have the intestinal fortitude to admit it.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I wasn’t the only one .... @Can_of_corn was the guy saying it was a D*** move. I gave my opinion. I get it, it’s a fan site and there will be homerism. At least have the intestinal fortitude to admit it.

Technically a chad move.  ?

To be clear I don't have a big issue with that type of play, I'd rather they didn't happen but I won't pillory a player over it.  I just don't think you should say a guy that does that sort of thing "plays the game the right way".

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

1) Nothing about a draft is certain. Martin may have had a major slump, an injury, or whatever. No?  A leg injury to Martin that limits his speed would be huge for his value. The bat would have to carry him more. 

The model that Sig and Elias had apparently believes it was likely that Kjerstad would ascend in a similar way as Bleday. Young players improve, sometimes in a rapid fashion at this age. That is what we all hope for. The Orioles front office are standing behind their work. It’s a gamble, sure. But it’s an educated one. You have to admit, they are ballsy. They are strong in their belief in their system. 

1) Agreed .... But his hit tool is rated a 65 or 70 depending on where you look. BTW, Martin averaged about 18 or so steals in hi college career. So let’s not pretend he’s speed reliant like you are making it out. Also, it would be no different than saying if Kjerstad pulls a rib cage muscle swinging or something like that.

I have a different word for it. But, I agree that we will see how it goes. You guys think I’m being hard on Elias for passing on Martin. Your right, but I haven’t really liked any of the trades, the other draft besides Rutschman (And anyone could’ve made that selection).

I agree he’s improved the woefully unstaffed scouting department, brought its technology into this century, and convinced the sons of a meddling bad owners sons that they need to be in the international market to be competitive. Peters, Gillick, D Duquette, and or Macphail probably could’ve done the same if Peter had became Incapacitated during their tenure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Technically a chad move.  ?

To be clear I don't have a big issue with that type of play, I'd rather they didn't happen but I won't pillory a player over it.  I just don't think you should say a guy that does that sort of thing "plays the game the right way".

I don’t care either ...but a hustle player probably dives back into the bag.

12 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

Hey CoC!  I was born and raised in Arkansas.  As a lifelong Razorback fan, I have watched many Razorback games in person and via SEC Network.  I think I've seen Kjerstad play ball probably a few more times than you have. 

Born in Arkansas, raised in Maryland - lifelong and passionate fan of both the Hogs and O's. I'll admit my homerism took over when the O's picked Kjerstad #2. I've seen Kjerstad play on the SEC Network probably 30-40 times during his 2+ years in Fayetteville. Really really liked him Freshman year, fell off a bit Sophomore and started making great progress as a Junior. Nice fluid swing built for OPACY, underrated defense, intense but not a jerk, seems to be a great teammate. Taught by the best of the best in Van Horn and Arkansas' incredible coaching staff. Absolutely inane for folks to compare him to Trumbo or Chris Davis....that's just simple bulletin board knee jerk trolling. As for Roll Tide, don't worry about him. He's just salty our football Hogs pushed his Crimson Tide to the limit and only lost 48-7 last year :) He'll hope for the best for Martin and worst for Kjerstad and that's just dandy. At least we got baseball, basketball is quickly turning around and maybe we might have something in Pittman. Go Kjerstad! Go Hogs! Go O's! WPS.

Edited by Orioles1954
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1