Players opting out of 2020 season

SteveA

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Met starter Marcus Stroman opted out.   He hadn't pitched this year due to a calf injury but was approaching being healthy enough to pitch.

Importantly, he earned enough service time while injured to qualify for free agency this coming offseason.

No reason for him to pitch this season for under $3 million and potentially hurt his stock with a handful of bad starts. Better to rely on the 4.6 rWAR in 2019 and the 5.2 rWAR in 2017 (hoping his suitors ignore 2018 entirely).

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they are willing to spend the money.  The ability is there and they wouldn't have to give up a draft pick.

Yea I don’t know that I buy they will spend what it takes but they have very little money committed long term and that is when you can take advantage of it.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they are willing to spend the money.  The ability is there and they wouldn't have to give up a draft pick.

If Stroman gets a qualifying offer he would cost the O's their third pick (either the comp pick after round 2 or, if that pick is traded, their third round pick). Jake Odorizzi got a QO this off-season at the same age as Stroman with a less successful career to date. I think it is quite likely that Stroman gets one too.