9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

29 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Lowther finally added to player pool. He had an oblique injury, which kept him off.

MurphDogg,  Who do you think Elias adds to the 40 man roster prior to the winter meetings.  I know you were tracking this?   

(7)  Zimmerman, Diaz, Baumann, Gonzalez, Bannon, Pop, Lowther?

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

MurphDogg,  Who do you think Elias adds to the 40 man roster prior to the winter meetings.  I know you were tracking this?   

Mattson, McCoy, and Wells are the other serious candidates. 

Is that Brian Gonzalez on your list? I would think any of the three I mentioned would be ahead of him, although he did crack the player pool. Guess it depends on whether they like what they see out of him there.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I mean, anything is possible.  But what are the odds that a high school pitcher taken high in the first round is going to have a HOF career?

Here's a list of the best 10 careers out of high school pitchers taken in the top 10 picks:

Zack Greinke (#6 overall)
Clayton Kershaw (7)
Dwight Gooden (5)
Jon Matlack (4)
Josh Beckett (2)
Kerry Wood (4)
Mike Morgan (4)
Bill Gullickson (2)
Joe Coleman (3)
J. R. Richard (2)

So far, since the draft started in '65, there has never been a HOFer picked as a high school pitcher in the top 10 picks. Roy Halladay (#17 in '95) is the only 1st round high school pitcher to be inducted into Cooperstown.

This is out of 430 high school pitchers taken in the 1st round.  Clyde going to the Hall was always a longshot.

Greinke and Kershaw probably will both go in.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I'd take off Pop and Gonzalez. It doesn't seem like Mike likes Wells much but he's a possibility.

3 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'd take off Pop and Gonzalez. It doesn't seem like Mike likes Wells much but he's a possibility.

Pop is a back of the bullpen righty with a career 1.34 minor league ERA and a 2.8 BB/9 and a 9.0 K/9. Fastball hits 98. I would be floored if he wasn't added.

He should have a good chance to contribute to the 2021 bullpen. With Castro and Givens gone, he could be the second best righty out of the pen after Harvey.

He should probably be added to the player pool in the next week or so, as he is supposedly recovered from TJ.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:12 PM, MurphDogg said:

Mattson, McCoy, and Wells are the other serious candidates. 

Is that Brian Gonzalez on your list? I would think any of the three I mentioned would be ahead of him, although he did crack the player pool. Guess it depends on whether they like what they see out of him there.

I don't see Gonzalez and Bannon lasting through the winter.