9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Don't really understand Taylor Davis being added. Do we really need 6 catchers on the 60-man player pool? Seems like Rutschman and Holiday and/or Wynns can cover the secondary camp along with bullpen catchers that can presumably be hired for little more than minimum wage.

D.L. Hall added. 

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He, Rondon and Urena were the three players that were still in camp when camp broke that have not been added to the player pool. Taylor Davis and Mason Williams were not on the initial Player Pool but have since been added.

If Wynns is DFA'd at some point to free a roster spot non  rostered Holaday and Taylor Davis  are the fall ups in case Wynns is claimed.

Depending one Santander and Smith health Williams could be promoted to the majors shortly after the season begins.  He is non roster and out of options so when they bring him up they will want to keep him up.

Rondon and Urena seem behind Iglesias, Alberto, Ruiz, Martin, Velazquez  Valiaka and at 2B/3B probably even Wilkerson.   

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

McKenna didn't even hit well at AA last season.    He has talent but needs development at the AA level.  I am not surprised he is not included when there are 7 or 8 outfielders ahead of him.

1. He hit above the league average (crazy pitchers league)

2. He is more of a prospect than Mullins (two and a third years younger).

3. He is on the 40-man roster

There is no AA or AAA level this year. If he needs development, and he does, the only place to get it is on the 60-man player pool, which is why Rutschman and DL Hall will be on it despite having an equal (0 percent) chance of playing in the Majors this year as McKenna.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, makoman said:

I thought Diaz was still in camp too but I could be wrong. I'm a little surprised he isn't there too. 

Looks like he was. I was going off this article which listed the non-roster invitees and seems to have missed Diaz.

Yeah, hopefully he will get one of the last spots once the secondary camp is ready to go. He definitely should get reps with the organization if possible.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

1. He hit above the league average (crazy pitchers league)

2. He is more of a prospect than Mullins (two and a third years younger).

3. He is on the 40-man roster

There is no AA or AAA level this year. If he needs development, and he does, the only place to get it is on the 60-man player pool, which is why Rutschman and DL Hall will be on it despite having an equal (0 percent) chance of playing in the Majors this year as McKenna.

You could say that about development for every minor leaguer.  

There seems to be two different type of players on the 60 man roster.  1)Those that may help this year and 2) top prospects that have no chance of playing in MLB games this season but the O's want to see get work.    Rutschman and Hall are in the later category.   I think Rodriguez would be also.  McKenna is too far down the prospect list to be in that group IMO.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Although I still have trouble seeing a 1B/LF/DH with a 5:1 AAA strikeout to walk ratio being an impact player in the majors.

This has always been my biggest sticking point with Mountcastle. Everyone else disagrees with me every time I bring up my reservations about RM, so I concede that I am wrong. But I'm having trouble getting over this.

Prove me wrong, Ryan.

29 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Don't really understand Taylor Davis being added. Do we really need 6 catchers on the 60-man player pool? Seems like Rutschman and Holiday and/or Wynns can cover the secondary camp along with bullpen catchers that can presumably be hired for little more than minimum wage.

TD is a player that is completely expendable and if the roster space is needed could be moved without a second thought. But I think he has more value than a bullpen catcher.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This has always been my biggest sticking point with Mountcastle. Everyone else disagrees with me every time I bring up my reservations about RM, so I concede that I am wrong. But I'm having trouble getting over this.

Prove me wrong, Ryan.

I'm a fan but I admit it is a point of concern.

I think he has a fair chance to be a bust.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Prove me wrong, Ryan.

He will.