9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

38 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What's wrong with Santander and DJ.  I have saw that they won't be ready at the beginning of the season, but can't find the reason.  Just started reading the boards again after a break when it was obvious baseball wouldn't be played for months.

DJ Stewart is fine and playing.

Did you mean Dwight Smith Jr?  He and Santander have yet to report to camp.  The team has no comment.  The team has a policy not to comment on the Covid-19 status of any individual player.  We are free to draw whatever conclusion we want from that.

If you have questions about any individual players, the first post of the spring training tracker theread at the top of this board has information.  I try to update it daily.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

DJ Stewart is fine and playing.

Did you mean Dwight Smith Jr?  He and Santander have yet to report to camp.  The team has no comment.  The team has a policy not to comment on the Covid-19 status of any individual player.  We are free to draw whatever conclusion we want from that.

If you have questions about any individual players, the first post of the spring training tracker theread at the top of this board has information.  I try to update it daily.

Thanks for the info

On 7/11/2020 at 10:47 AM, Frobby said:

Has anyone suggested he’d be a 5-6 WAR player?     I’ll be pretty darned happy if he manages to be a 2-3 WAR guy.   

Not explicitly, but at least a few people are talking about how he's a top prospect.  And he needs to have a lot of PAs in the majors this year if he wants to be a top prospect.  I think he's an Orioles top prospect (for now) which is kind of like saying you're Rich Dauer, an Orioles HOFer.  Hopefully in a few years we'll be talking about O's top prospects like Rutschman being 5+ win players.

I'll be pretty pleased with a 3-4 win peak, not quite as happy if he tops out around 2 wins.  But it's going to be a challenge to get much north of two wins with Adam Jones' plate discipline while playing first.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, MurphDogg said:

Mountcastle is definitely going to have to walk a little more to be a true impact player. He had 10 walks over his last 27 games of the season last year batting .311/.381/.573, and obviously it is something he is aware of, so hopefully he can maintain that approach. That more than anything is why I wanted him to be called up in September.

Unfortunately he only had 14 walks the rest of the season. He had more walks in August than he had in May, June and July combined.

Maybe he can pull a Robby Cano or a Chris Davis and go from zero plate discipline to 70+ walks in the majors.  It's rare, but not unheard of.

1 minute ago, connja said:

Sorry if I missed - are we expecting Kjerstad to make this 60-man roster?  They have to find a way to keep him busy.  Was interesting to see Austin Martin added to Blue Jays.

Haven't heard a word from the club, so it's only guessing.   They got up to 53, and hinted that DL Hall would likely make 54.   That left 6 spots for the likes of Kjerstad, or any other top prospect not already there like Grayson Rodriguez.   The season ending surgeries to Martin and Blach might make a couple more spots available.

But they probably will not "fill up" the 60 any time soon, leaving spots to add someone during the season if circumstances allow without having to bump someone off which I *think*, if it isn't an injury move, would be like DFA'ing them and you would risk losing them.   (If someone knows the rules on moving guys off the 60 man better and wants to explain them, please do!)

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Haven't heard a word from the club, so it's only guessing.   They got up to 53, and hinted that DL Hall would likely make 54.   That left 6 spots for the likes of Kjerstad, or any other top prospect not already there like Grayson Rodriguez.   The season ending surgeries to Martin and Blach might make a couple more spots available.

But they probably will not "fill up" the 60 any time soon, leaving spots to add someone during the season if circumstances allow without having to bump someone off which I *think*, if it isn't an injury move, would be like DFA'ing them and you would risk losing them.   (If someone knows the rules on moving guys off the 60 man better and wants to explain them, please do!)

With Martin and Blach gone they are down to 51.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

without having to bump someone off which I *think*, if it isn't an injury move, would be like DFA'ing them and you would risk losing them.   (If someone knows the rules on moving guys off the 60 man better and wants to explain them, please do!)

That is my understanding; a player needs to be designated to come off the 60-man. There is an exception for COVID, where three or more players that contract coronavirus they can come off without penalty. Injury cases requiring the new "45 day IL" works the same as it does now; they come off the roster but no exposure to other teams.

Martin and Blach haven't been officially moved but surely will.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

That is my understanding; a player needs to be designated to come off the 60-man. There is an exception for COVID, where if there are three or more players that contract coronavirus they can come off without penalty. Injury cases requiring the new "45 day IL" works the same as it does; they come off the roster but exposure to other teams.

OK so Richie can go on the 45 day IL and be removed from the 60.

Since Blach is not on the major league roster, I don't think the 45 day IL applies.   Would we risk losing him if we removed him from the 60 man list?   (And would we care, given that he was probably not going to make the team anyway and now won't likely pitch until 2022?)

It's not a big deal, just procedural question.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Since Blach is not on the major league roster, I don't think the 45 day IL applies.

I'll speculate that there is no reason why a non-40 man roster player can't be placed on the 45-day IL. It doesn't require a move on or off the the 40-man. I just looked up the rules and it's not direct about how the 45 day IL can be used.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-announces-2020-regular-season

There will be a 10-day injured list for both pitchers and hitters, though the 60-day IL will be reduced to a 45-day IL.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/injuries/10-day-injured-list

Teams will submit lists of 60 players eligible to play in 2020 -- the 40-man roster plus a "taxi squad" of 20 players, and there will be no restrictions on position players pitching. Rather than a 10-day injured list for position players and 15-day injured list for pitchers, there will be a 10-day injured list for all players in the shortened season. The 60-day injured list will be reduced to 45 days. The 7-day injured list will be unaffected.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

OK so Richie can go on the 45 day IL and be removed from the 60.

Since Blach is not on the major league roster, I don't think the 45 day IL applies.   Would we risk losing him if we removed him from the 60 man list?   (And would we care, given that he was probably not going to make the team anyway and now won't likely pitch until 2022?)

It's not a big deal, just procedural question.

I would think the the O's are on the hook for Blach medical expenses.  If they take him off the 60 and someone picks him up then they would pick up his medical expenses.  I doubt any team would do that.  Is there a risk?  Yes, but a very small one.   JMO.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I'll speculate that there is no reason why a non-40 man roster player can't be placed on the 45-day IL. It doesn't require a move on or off the the 40-man. I just looked up the rules and it's not direct about how the 45 day IL can be used.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-announces-2020-regular-season

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/injuries/10-day-injured-list

That last one you included is interesting.   The 60 man squad is specifically defined as the 40 man roster plus a taxi squad of 20 players.   So if we only have 37 guys on the 40, we can't add 23 non-roster guys to the 60.   Only 20.   That's how I read it.