Big announcement on the future of Orioles Hangout

Tony-OH

So I don't like to post things politically anywhere although I will have open discussions.  I respect individuals and in my opinion bad people do bad things and good people to good things.  I am all for equality for all but I also do believe that respect is earned or rather unearned through evidence that it isn't deserved.  I don't disrespect people for not earning my respect I just pay no attention to them. 

I think it is important to have calm discussions but that is impossible on a social media site.  Every topic is polarizing.  I have the right to my opinion but I do not have the right to enforce my beliefs on others. 

I respect and appreciate all Tony has done with his leadership on this site.  I understand and respect his struggles with his ultimate decision.  I always enjoyed this site, especially trade talk with SportsGuy, Statistical Analysis with Drungo and learning stuff from the past insiders.

Hope to post again on this site...………..

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If you have a politics subforum that will just bleed over into the baseball.  "Sure, I agree with you about cutting Mullins, but you're the idiot who advocated for total nonsense in that thread on the politics forum." 

Yup, I didn't mind the politics forum as it helped me sharpen my ability to make persuasive points. On a related note, I was a freshman in college then and I am a lawyer now. 

On the other hand, it is nice to not know which posters have terrible political takes to go along with their terrible baseball takes!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well enlighten me on what the proper response should have been?  Does assaulting a store owner and reaching for a police officer's weapon warrant being shot to death?  This isn't even a political discussion, it's just about being a decent person.  

Uh if you're a cop with a family and someone is reaching for your weapon.... you wouldn't shoot the perp?  

• Like 1

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Uh if you're a cop with a family and someone is reaching for your weapon.... you wouldn't shoot the perp?  

Does he have a gun?  If you're a cop with a family and someone is reaching for your gun but doesn't get it, have you been trained to subdue people in ways that don't require lethal force?  Are we really having this discussion?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Does he have a gun?  If you're a cop with a family and someone is reaching for your gun but doesn't get it, have you been trained to subdue people in ways that don't require lethal force?  Are we really having this discussion?

Cops are trained to shoot at the largest part of the body...the torso.

And this, of course, makes sense since you are more likely to hit that part of the body vs an arm or leg.

As for the other part of this...I know cops that say the training needs to be better.  That is stuff they want.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, baltfan said:

By this logic if anyone ever resists a police officer in any way they must not have respect for the law and are a threat.  I think the issue that most people have is when we discuss police officer's actions in the context of a normal person.  I often hear, what would you do if you were in a position where maybe your life was at stake.  I am not a professional.  I was not trained to control my fears in those situations.  We need to expect more of the police than to excuse every time they confuse someone reaching for their wallet as possibly reaching for a gun.  Or when we excuse them shooting a 12 year old with a BB gun when he potentially points the gun as opposed to dropping it immediately  when they come flying up in a police car.  See the 12 year old should have been able to keep his cool enough to know to drop the gun, but the police are entitled to panic because they can't anticipate that the actions of the 12 year old may be just consistent with a scared to death little boy.

In Beavercreek OH it was a 16 year old but he did not point it and cops did not give time to drop. They just came in guns blazing. It's all on video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_John_Crawford_III

• Upvote 1

• weams locked this topic