Attention Chris Davis

SteveA

Just now, SteveA said:

Sorry I started it.   But after hearing Davis say he didn't want to because it's "not my game", then watching live as an extremely high paid MVP caliber player got out of a slump by bunting against an identical shift to the one Davis sees, I just thought it was worthing mentioning.

"Get out of a slump"?  It was the second game of the season.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was 0-3 with a walk in the first game.  He finished the second game 1 for 2 with two walks so I don't see how he could have been 0-6 or 0-7.

Ok you win.  I was watching on a MLB Network live look-in, they said he was still looking for his first hit on the season, and I watched the noted slugger bunt for a base hit.  That's it.  If you find it necessary to pick at every bit of a word I typed, well you have done it.  You win.  I used the word slump where it was a bit inappropriate and you have shown me for the fool I am.  Thank goodness we have you here to keep us on the path of truth and righteousness.

I still believe the basic gist of my original point: Davis went through one of the worst slumps in the century and a half history of baseball but didn't seriously try something like bunting against an extreme shift to get out of it, saying the only way to get out of it was to continue trying to do whatade him good several years ago.  But another more accomplished player who has won an MVP isn't afraid to do something a little different.

But the important thing is you parsed my words to death.  That's far more important I guess than the comparison I was trying to make.  Well done.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Ok you win.  I was watching on a MLB Network live look-in, they said he was still looking for his first hit on the season, and I watched the noted slugger bunt for a base hit.  That's it.  If you find it necessary to pick at every bit of a word I typed, well you have done it.  You win.  I used the word slump where it was a bit inappropriate and you have shown me for the fool I am.  Thank goodness we have you here to keep us on the path of truth and righteousness.

I still believe the basic gist of my original point: Davis went through one of the worst slumps in the century and a half history of baseball but didn't seriously try something like bunting against an extreme shift to get out of it, saying the only way to get out of it was to continue trying to do whatade him good several years ago.  But another more accomplished player who has won an MVP isn't afraid to do something a little different.

But the important thing is you parsed my words to death.  That's far more important I guess than the comparison I was trying to make.  Well done.

Hope you learned your lesson.

Yea, no.

1- You purposefully exaggerated the circumstances of Harper's bunt.  (0-7 ain't a slump and you know it)

2- You double-downed on your exaggeration instead of bothering to check.

3- You blame ME for pointing out your poor posts.

What Harper did was great, glad to see it, but that doesn't mean it's the cure for what is ailing Davis.  You can't fix Davis with a few bunts.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Sorry I started it.   But after hearing Davis say he didn't want to because it's "not my game", then watching live as an extremely high paid MVP caliber player got out of a slump by bunting against an identical shift to the one Davis sees, I just thought it was worthing mentioning.

But that always has been part of Harpers game, and never really been a part of Davis’s

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2015/09/24/why-did-bryce-harper-tried-to-bunt-in-a-one-run-game-and-what-did-his-manager-think-of-that/

I’m not trying to pile on, but it’s really not a great comparison. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2018/07/10/analytics-killed-the-bunt-now-a-new-data-driven-strategy-could-bring-it-back-to-life/

The last paragraph gives some interesting info...

"In 2015, there were 59 bunt attempts away from the shift, and hitters were successful 73 percent of the time. In 2018, there already have been 62 bunt attempts away from the shift, with better results (a 76 percent success rate). A soft groundball to the opposite field against the shift, by comparison, is successful less than half the time (49 percent). So, if used selectively, as James advocated in 2014, the bunt could again become a valuable weapon against the shift."

73% effectiveness in 2015... and 76% by July 10th of 2018.  The data is there.

It should be a tool in his toolbox.  At the 2:35 mark, our hero actually demonstrates he CAN do it effectively.  In baseball, you win when you take advantage of what you are being given.  I don't subscribe to the idea that because he's hitting the ball hard into an out that he's doing something right.  CD has been doing that consistently since 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDG-u2KlWo

3 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2018/07/10/analytics-killed-the-bunt-now-a-new-data-driven-strategy-could-bring-it-back-to-life/

The last paragraph gives some interesting info...

"In 2015, there were 59 bunt attempts away from the shift, and hitters were successful 73 percent of the time. In 2018, there already have been 62 bunt attempts away from the shift, with better results (a 76 percent success rate). A soft groundball to the opposite field against the shift, by comparison, is successful less than half the time (49 percent). So, if used selectively, as James advocated in 2014, the bunt could again become a valuable weapon against the shift."

73% effectiveness in 2015... and 76% by July 10th of 2018.  The data is there.

It should be a tool in his toolbox.  At the 2:35 mark, our hero actually demonstrates he CAN do it effectively.  In baseball, you win when you take advantage of what you are being given.  I don't subscribe to the idea that because he's hitting the ball hard into an out that he's doing something right.  CD has been doing that consistently since 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDG-u2KlWo

My thing is that he doesn't even have to do it all the time (nor should he).  Maybe once every ten game window or so in situations where it's smart to do so.  Demonstrate to opponents that it is a move in his arsenal.

If he shows competence with it, it certainly won't get rid of opponents shifting on him, but it may force opponents to reduce the severity of some of these shifts.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hope you learned your lesson.

Yea, no.

1- You purposefully exaggerated the circumstances of Harper's bunt.  (0-7 ain't a slump and you know it)

2- You double-downed on your exaggeration instead of bothering to check.

3- You blame ME for pointing out your poor posts.

What Harper did was great, glad to see it, but that doesn't mean it's the cure for what is ailing Davis.  You can't fix Davis with a few bunts.

The entire season, if it lasts, will consist of one giant small sample size. (Irony)

Purposefully exaggerating would be saying Harper laid down a hunt to end his season long joyless streak that had endured to late July.  But yes 7 or so at bats in a weekend isn’t really anything to fret about. 

I don’t really care if Davis does it or not at this point. But the fact remains that a bunt down the line that makes it to dirt would in fact be a guaranteed single. And if done a few times might spread out the defense which statistics have shown do not help Davis. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The entire season, if it lasts, will consist of one giant small sample size. (Irony)

Purposefully exaggerating would be saying Harper laid down a hunt to end his season long joyless streak that had endured to late July.  But yes 7 or so at bats in a weekend isn’t really anything to fret about. 

I don’t really care if Davis does it or not at this point. But the fact remains that a bunt down the line that makes it to dirt would in fact be a guaranteed single. And if done a few times might spread out the defense which statistics have shown do not help Davis. 

"Tony" tried a bunt on a 3-1 count the other day against the shift and failed (part of the 27 %).  @DrungoHazewood went into afib!