The defense thread, 2020

Frobby

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/29)

The Orioles were called for TWO catcher's interference calls in the 1st inning.

As Yossarian pointed out in the game thread, you could go 2 years without seeing one of those called ........ and we got 2 of them in a single inning.

o

56 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/29)

As Yossarian pointed out in the game thread, you could go 2 years without seeing one of those called ........ and we got 2 of them in a single inning.

o

Were the calls correct?

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/29)

o

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Were the calls correct?

o

I wasn't watching, but I'm sure that they were ........ it occurs when the batter swings the bat, and the bat catches a piece of the catcher's mitt.

It's a rare call, but it is almost never disputed when it happens.

o

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I wasn't watching, but I'm sure that they were ........ it occurs when the batter swings the bat, and the bat catches a piece of the catcher's mitt.

o

Knocked the mitt clean off both times.    

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Knocked the mitt clean off both times.    

o

Jesus ........ I've never seen it done THAT egregiously. 

What the hell was Severino thinking when he was positioning himself behind the plate ???

o

7 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Jesus ........ I've never seen it done THAT egregiously. 

What the hell was Severino thinking when he was positioning himself behind the plate ???

o

Makes you wonder if he's done it before and gotten away with it. Or maybe this is something the coaches are trying to teach and he hasn't refined his technique? 

Holaday Is a good catcher on defense, but unfortunately you can’t really call him up. Sisco still has to get his opportunity, although I think he will never be an acceptable catcher and has shown it. But he might be able to hit well enough to find a place. But he can’t be starting catcher, and I don’t think you can give up on Severino either. It is a pickle.

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Makes you wonder if he's done it before and gotten away with it. Or maybe this is something the coaches are trying to teach and he hasn't refined his technique? 

Well, isn’t judge like 69 or so? He’s a big lad, and maybe Severino just didn’t anticipate how much of a reach he had.

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 7/31)

Sometimes, your team gets some help from the opposition's defense ........ such was the case last night in the bottom of the 7th inning against the Rays, when their 1st Baseman muffed what should have been an easy force-out at home plate to give the Orioles a much-needed insurance run in what was a one-run game at the time.

o

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 8/01)

An errant throw by pitcher Shawn Armstrong on a force play at 2nd base wound up costing the team ........ the Rays essentially got an extra out, they scored a couple of extra runs, and the game is subsequently tied in the 8th inning.

o