Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

There isn't a plan for an outbreak. There could have been one but they didn't make one.

They could have had every team have a B squad practicing that could swap in as needed, but they didn't do that, they went with the player pool instead.

MLB could have even created their own team of replacement level type players that could swoop in and replace any team on a given day, but they didn't do that either.

• Upvote 4

The thing I'm looking for is how the Marlins would, in theory, replace the players who tested positive. I think all 12 were on the active roster, but I'm not certain. If so, you could replace 3 with taxi squad guys, and pray that you have 9 (!) on your 40-man roster in the 60-player pool who roughly match the positions you lost. 

Unless I'm incorrect somewhere, that doesn't seem likely at all. 

17 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Oh, man ........ it would be horrible luck if the 1st-place Orioles had their Cinderella season shut down prematurely if there winds up being too many positive tests throughout the Major Leagues.

o

o

We wuz robbed ........ we wuz robbed.

o

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That's a bit misleading from Heyman... we're literally just now learning of the outbreak this morning.. and there's no way for us to know just yet it it's truly "confined" to just the Marlins. They are almost certainly circling the wagons to have a "serious" discussion as I type this.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

The thing I'm looking for is how the Marlins would, in theory, replace the players who tested positive. I think all 12 were on the active roster, but I'm not certain. If so, you could replace 3 with taxi squad guys, and pray that you have 9 (!) on your 40-man roster in the 60-player pool who roughly match the positions you lost. 

Unless I'm incorrect somewhere, that doesn't seem likely at all. 

One has already been replaced, as Jorge Alfaro was swapped for Chad Wallach.

The would have to replace 11 others...

SP Jose Urena
1B/OF Garrett Cooper
OF Harold Ramirez

and 8 other unidentified players.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pot, meet kettle.  How cavalier of you.

I mean, I get it if a middle infielder with .3 WAR gets it and dies, no one cares.  But God forbid someone like Trout, Bellinger or Acuna gets it and dies.  I mean, would it be worth it then?

The Spanish flu happened in 1918-1920.  The major leagues kept playing and spectators wore mask.  I don't remember reading about any famous major leaguers dying of Spanish flu.  Waits for Drungo to provide confirmation.

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I bet Manfred wishes he would have gone Adam Silver.. we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

I'm not sure what Silver could have done as MLB commish.  NBA is better set up for getting back to sports as they have less players and team staff.  They agreed to stay in a bubble, too.  I don't think MLB players were going for that idea.

That said, anyone>>>>Manfred so Silver probably could have done something better.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

There isn't a plan for an outbreak. There could have been one but they didn't make one.

They could have had every team have a B squad practicing that could swap in as needed, but they didn't do that, they went with the player pool instead.

MLB could have even created their own team of replacement level type players that could swoop in and replace any team on a given day, but they didn't do that either.

I nominate Chris Davis to join the squad of replacement level players, but he might be rejected for being too far below replacement level. 

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The Spanish flu happened in 1918-1920.  The major leagues kept playing and spectators wore mask.  I don't remember reading about any famous major leaguers dying of Spanish flu.  Waits for Drungo to provide confirmation.

What other things did people do in 1918-1920 that are looked at as poor decisions these days?

3 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

One has already been replaced, as Jorge Alfaro was swapped for Chad Wallach.

The would have to replace 11 others...

SP Jose Urena
1B/OF Garrett Cooper
OF Harold Ramirez

and 8 other unidentified players.

As someone else noted, there's a 26-man minimum roster, so I guess they could in theory play a few guys short. Still need to come up with quite a few guys to meet that minimum though.