Ohtani

WillyM

On 4/4/2021 at 9:39 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Ruth threw 101?

Hard to tell exactly, but it would be weird if he did throw 101 and still averaged just 3.6 K/9 in a dramatically inferior league chock full of 80 mph fastballs.

If I had to guess I'd say Ruth sat in the 80s.  In the Neyer/James guide to pitchers all it says is Ruth threw a fastball and a curve and I can't recall anyone saying he threw particularly hard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Derby announcement, two homers for Ohtani

June 18: Derby announcement, two homers

On Friday, Ohtani announced he would participate in the 2021 T-Mobile Home Run Derby, becoming the first player who also pitches to do so. Then, in the Angels' game later that day, he crushed two homers to bring his season total to 21. Along with his 73 strikeouts this season, his 20 homers make him the first player with at least 20 home runs as a hitter and 70 strikeouts as a pitcher in a single season.

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2021 at 9:52 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Derby announcement, two homers for Ohtani

June 18: Derby announcement, two homers

On Friday, Ohtani announced he would participate in the 2021 T-Mobile Home Run Derby, becoming the first player who also pitches to do so. Then, in the Angels' game later that day, he crushed two homers to bring his season total to 21. Along with his 73 strikeouts this season, his 20 homers make him the first player with at least 20 home runs as a hitter and 70 strikeouts as a pitcher in a single season.

Ohtani is truly great, deserves all good things coming to him.  But I'm going to quickly get tired of all the "first player with at least...30 homers and 90 strikeouts" or whatever obscure trivia sportswriters can serve up in order to try to paint a picture of how good he is.

"Ohtani is the first player with 25 homers, 50 walks, 40 doubles and 100 strikeouts as a pitcher with an ERA under 3.00...blah blah blah blah blah...."

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ohtani is truly great, deserves all good things coming to him.  But I'm going to quickly get tired of all the "first player with at least...30 homers and 90 strikeouts" or whatever obscure trivia sportswriters can serve up in order to try to paint a picture of how good he is.

"Ohtani is the first player with 25 homers, 50 walks, 40 doubles and 100 strikeouts as a pitcher with an ERA under 3.00...blah blah blah blah blah...."

pinched-fingers-emoji.png

• Upvote 1