I Know It’s Early, But How Can ESPN Have Us Ranked Dead Last?

ORIOLE33

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This is where you defend that the 2-7 Pirates are better than the Orioles.

Don't really feel the need to defend anything.  ESPN's power rankings are subjective, and I'm pretty sure that over the years they haven't perfectly lined up with win-loss records.

Who cares at this point if ESPN ranks the O's 30th or 29th or 25th or whatever? In the end they aren't a good team (in my opinion), they just had a good week. 

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Sports. Not politics. Postponed games. Players on IL.

If any writer is not taking all that into account -- especially the not playing games part -- than they are living in a bubble.

Thank you.

I was kidding. Should have been clearer about that. 

My attempts at humor have been causing me trouble for over 60 years, so I can't really blame emails. But I'd like to.

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I was kidding. Should have been clearer about that. 

My attempts at humor have been causing me trouble for over 60 years, so I can't really blame emails. But I'd like to.

Ha! OK. It is funny how the written word can be misinterpreted, when if I had heard the same words out of your mouth I would have understood immediately. Happens to me, as well, far too often. Peace!

9 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Don't really feel the need to defend anything.  ESPN's power rankings are subjective, and I'm pretty sure that over the years they haven't perfectly lined up with win-loss records.

Who cares at this point if ESPN ranks the O's 30th or 29th or 25th or whatever? In the end they aren't a good team (in my opinion), they just had a good week

Meanwhile, the Marlins had the worst week any team could have. Seven losses would have been better.

3 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

There’s plenty of time to see if they’re a bad team, but regardless, they’re 5-3. As we speak right now, they’re not the worst team in baseball. 

Your formula is [(results of last eight games) + 0% of everything else we know about baseball].  I'd probably use something a little different.

I always thought power rankings partly had to do with the perception if you're for real or not.  It doesn't surprise me that the Orioles are ranked last, but that's because no one's taking them seriously.  It's a nice start but ultimately it's...exactly that.  If they're as bad as we've expected them to be from here on out, well, what'd anyone expect?

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I always thought power rankings partly had to do with the perception if you're for real or not.  It doesn't surprise me that the Orioles are ranked last, but that's because no one's taking them seriously.  It's a nice start but ultimately it's...exactly that.  If they're as bad as we've expected them to be from here on out, well, what'd anyone expect?

That was kind of my point with the Pirates. They were expected to be bad and are bad. Certainly the Orioles situation is worth more than that.

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

That was kind of my point with the Pirates. They were expected to be bad and are bad. Certainly the Orioles situation is worth more than that.

Eh, I guess.  I mean, the Orioles really have to prove it before anyone will take notice and give credit, it needs to occur for an extended period...as much as an extended period as you can have with a 60 game season.

49 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ah, I never knew what power rankings were supposed to be.