MLB dot com: Hanser Alberto is Orioles biggest surprise

BohKnowsBmore

14 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

First, horrible?  Just a little over the top.

And, I don't think that there was any chance at all that Rutschman was going to be in Baltimore at all this year, much less soon after service time was resolved.  And, I doubt any other team would have moved him that quickly.  At best, he was likely to be here some time later in the 2021 season.

Dansby Swanson, the last college bat that went #1, was drafted in 2015 and debuted August 2016. Atlanta was 44-75 when he was brought up so it's not like they were contending. He started at low A after being drafted, then went through hi A and AA in 2016.

25 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

And, I don't think that there was any chance at all that Rutschman was going to be in Baltimore at all this year, much less soon after service time was resolved.  And, I doubt any other team would have moved him that quickly.  At best, he was likely to be here some time later in the 2021 season.

Posey was drafted in 2008 and made his debut in 2009.

Zunino was drafted in 2012 and made his debut in 2013.

Both of them were college catchers taken in the top 5 so i think they make fair comps.

6 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I don’t feel it’s over the top.  He’s an advanced college bat and supposed best college hitter in years.

He had a shot of being in Baltimore in 2020 but I agree the more likely time was late April/early May 2021.  

Also, service time matters less if you just sign him to some long term deal immediately, which Elias May do.  

I don't think that what other organizations did with a couple of cherry picked examples much matters.  Other top college bats never arrived at all.  Just think "horrible" is ridiculous and I don't think that Rutschman's development was harmed at all in 2019.  Especially since no one could have predicted 2020.  Those murder hornets have ruined my year.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't think that what other organizations did with a couple of cherry picked examples much matters.  Other top college bats never arrived at all.  Just think "horrible" is ridiculous and I don't think that Rutschman's development was harmed at all in 2019.  Especially since no one could have predicted 2020.  Those murder hornets have ruined my year.

Cherry picked?  College catchers picked in the top 5.  If you add in Wieters it doesn't change much as he was held back for service time concerns.  No idea what the Giants would have done with Bart in a normal year.

There is one "bust" pick in the bunch that took a lot longer.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cherry picked?  College catchers picked in the top 5.  If you add in Wieters it doesn't change much as he was held back for service time concerns.  No idea what the Giants would have done with Bart in a normal year.

There is one "bust" pick in the bunch that took a lot longer.

I don't think that starting Rutschman where they did will make him take a lot longer.  Just think you're making it a bigger issue than it is.  And I'm making your making it a bigger issue than it is a issue a bigger issue than it is.