How much longer do we hang onto...

Sports Guy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember, he set the expectations before the season that this year would be an evaluation year. See what he really has, and what is really needed. None of us know what has been going on behind the scenes. What trades can you make when you have crap?

This isn't a fair statement. The O's have plenty of trade chips.

It has been 11 years...

Yep, and it looks like it's going to be a few more.

Yes I am but I am not being impatient here.

There is just no reason other things weren't done.

Other things like what?

Maybe he just felt that there weren't any good returns on trades. If thats the case, I can't totally fault him.

We'll see how he does this offseason. At least this team seems to have a direction that it didn't have with the prior GMs.

Other things like what?

Maybe he just felt that there weren't any good returns on trades. If thats the case, I can't totally fault him.

We'll see how he does this offseason. At least this team seems to have a direction that it didn't have with the prior GMs.

Not just the trades of our players...Going after a guy like Anthony Reyes, who was essentially acquired for a healthy Jim Hoey.

And some of our guys he should have just dumped, like Ramon.

I think AM overevaluated the market and the talent of our players and asked for too much.

We kept hearing, Aug 31 is the REAL deadline...Yes, how did that work for us?

He had no back up plan for SS...He thought BRob would be a Cub and he continued to ask for more but he thought the Cubs would cave and he would have Cedeno. Well, when that fell through, he sat on his hands and was fine with what we had.

Players like Milledge could have been had. He let things like that go.

They could have been quicker on call ups for Wieters and Arrieta...They needed to be challenged more.

I think AM had a very solid offseason but his regular season was awful.

Not just the trades of our players...Going after a guy like Anthony Reyes, who was essentially acquired for a healthy Jim Hoey.

And some of our guys he should have just dumped, like Ramon.

I think AM overevaluated the market and the talent of our players and asked for too much.

We kept hearing, Aug 31 is the REAL deadline...Yes, how did that work for us?

He had no back up plan for SS...He thought BRob would be a Cub and he continued to ask for more but he thought the Cubs would cave and he would have Cedeno. Well, when that fell through, he sat on his hands and was fine with what we had.

Players like Milledge could have been had. He let things like that go.

They could have been quicker on call ups for Wieters and Arrieta...They needed to be challenged more.

I think AM had a very solid offseason but his regular season was awful.

I'll agree with some of this. Stuff like Milledge, I'm not sure if that guy was ever on our radar. Now if he was and MacPhail didn't get the deal done, thats another story.

I agree that he did seem to overvalue the market. He should have been happy with whatever he could get for Ramon.

The B-Rob stuff, I'll agree with too. But I stand by my claim that he is going to wait and see if he lands Tex this offseason before making a decision on Roberts.

I'll also stand by my claim that we'll have a SS problem for years to come. There simply aren't many out there on the market.

It all comes down to this offseason. He's had 1.5 years to take a look at this organization. This offseason is his chance to really improve its future. There wasn't much he could have done this season other than call up some of the better pitching prospects in Bowie, but they were in a playoff run and it's clear this org. is going to be patient with its better players. You can disagree with that if you want, but at least it's a strategy they are trying and sticking to.

But there will be no more excuses this offseason. It's time for AM do get to work.

It all comes down to this offseason. He's had 1.5 years to take a look at this organization. This offseason is his chance to really improve its future. There wasn't much he could have done this season other than call up some of the better pitching prospects in Bowie, but they were in a playoff run and it's clear this org. is going to be patient with its better players. You can disagree with that if you want, but at least it's a strategy they are trying and sticking to.

But there will be no more excuses this offseason. It's time for AM do get to work.

Dunno bro, I've got a feeling we're all gonna be in for a big disappointment this offseason.

Here's when I'll start to begin getting frustrated and disappointed in MacPhail's tenure here:

When I don't think we're on a good pace to be a borderline contending team in 2010 and beyond.

I don't care if we win 85 or 55 games next year. I could be happy with either or pissed off with either depending on how the organization is set up.

Right now, I think we can be a legit threat in 2010 and for several years beyond. We've got a solid offensive core right now, our young pitching is a year or so away from the majors and a half-season after that away from being a major impact. As long as we stay along that pace, I'll be happy. If he makes moves that deviate from that plan, I'll be disappointed.

Dunno bro, I've got a feeling we're all gonna be in for a big disappointment this offseason.

I agree.

The only way I call this offseason a big success is if 1) AM gets some insurance for the rotation, so there is no rushing of pitchers into the rotation earlier than needed, 2) finds a deserving MLB-ready SS, 3) extends Markakis, 4) makes up his mind about Roberts and 5) trades Huff and Hernandez.

Archived